WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1990 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
2008 Chapoutier Les Granits Blanc
1987 Vega Sicilia Unico

Sounds about right for a Thursday night. Or a Friday morning.....

Posts: 4287 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1987 Vega Sicilia Unico

W&A, what is your window on the Les Granits Blanc? I don't have experience with this wine but have purchased some 2010 and wondering how long I should let them sleep?

Posts: 1436 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Henschke Mt Edelstone Shiraz

Posts: 902 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed with lunch today.

2002 Morey Mantrachet Le Truffiere

Posts: 29464 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
1987 Vega Sicilia Unico

W&A, what is your window on the Les Granits Blanc? I don't have experience with this wine but have purchased some 2010 and wondering how long I should let them sleep?

mangiare, I have not tried the '10 so should not offer advice. FWIW, I tend to enjoy Les Granits within the first 5 years of release, and always before their tenth year, I think.

I have not found they close down like their bigger brothers.

I would love to hear how the wine is showing when you open.

Posts: 29464 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
1987 Vega Sicilia Unico

I tasted this back in September and the 2010's are a bit closed but open up beautifully with vigorous swirling. Tastes great now but could probably sleep for 3-5 more years. Definitely was not as stubborn as the Le Meal, d'Loree or l'Ermite.

mangiare, I have not tried the '10 so should not offer advice. FWIW, I tend to enjoy Les Granits within the first 5 years of release, and always before their tenth year, I think.

I have not found they close down like their bigger brothers.

I would love to hear how the wine is showing when you open.

Posts: 1205 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Marques de Casa Concha Cabernet-Sauvignon Valle del Maipo, Puente Alto

A very good CS from Chile...

Posts: 731 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Raspail-Ay Gigondas.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Hugel Les Amours Pinot Blanc.

Posts: 9262 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Monbousquet

Posts: 814 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
2005 Monbousquet

I don't have any of this, but I'm curious how you think it's drinking at this young stage.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took over an hour for the stank to blow off, and after 3+ hours drinking very nicely. Young.

Posts: 814 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- 2010 Shannon Ridge High Elevation Cab Sauv.

* Audrey wasn't kidding. This is very nice stuff.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Champoux Vineyard

Posts: 1828 | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nv Veuve Cliquot
08 Ketcham Ketcham Vineyard Pinot
09 AP Vin Rosellas
03 Mocalli Brunello Reserva

Posts: 5513 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Ramey Chardonnay Hudson Vineyard
2007 Peter Michael Pinot Noir Le Caprice

Posts: 3536 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Château La Louvière

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 600 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 Margaux
1991 Mondavi Reserve
2003 Alvaro Palacios Les Terrasses (magnum)

Posts: 1436 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night:

2009 Andre Brunel Cotes du Rhone Villages Cuvee Sabrine
2010 Domaine de la Tourade Gigondas
2008 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas
2010 Lavan Gigondas
2007 E. Guigal Gigondas
2009 E. Guigal Gigondas
2010 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas
2009 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas Cuvee Prestige des Haute Garriques
2004 SA Prum Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese

Tasting Notes posted

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2880 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night with OTW, Vinojoe, and friends at the Granite Club:

2006 Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay
2006 Mt Eden Chard
2010 Barnett Sangiacomo Vineyard Chardonnay, Carneros
2009 Rodney Strong Russian River Chardonnay

2010 Bewer Clifton Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir
2005 Rochiolo Little Hill Pinot Noir, Russian River

2002 Shafer Relentless
2001 Shafer Insignia
1999 Verite La Joie

2000 RDM Merlot Icewine
2008 Tawse Cabernet Icewine

Votes were split between the Insignia and Verite for WOTN. The Verite was more expressive but with a bit of funk. The Relentless, Insignia and Verite were all stunning and paired really well with the perfectly cooked rare lamb.
The Insignia was very well integrated, balanced, and smooth.
Surprise Chard was the Barnett, which seemed light on the nose but was extremely rich and unctuous on the palate, reminiscent of viognier.
Both Pinots were excellent and more Burgundian in character than 'new world'.
The Merlot Icewine was disappointing compared to other RDM icewines and other older Icewines. It was dark and seemed a bit cooked or past it - port like with a backbone of cherry. The Tawse was excellent with cooked/stewed strawberry flavours.

Posts: 1576 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night with VanCityWino and his lady, over some outstanding Japanese food:

- NV Larmandier-Bernier Champagne 1er Cru Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs -- apple, citrus, mineral, long finish, after the initially overactive mousse settled down this was excellent

- 2009 Dom. Fevre Chablis 1er Vaulorent -- lots of green apple, peach, bit of citrus, a bit tight, even for a ripe vintage seems just a bit on the sweet side, a little disconcerting

- 2001 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay Art Series -- yowza! big nose of fruit and flowers, in the mouth big fruit, dense apple, pineapple, peach, mineral, honey, buttery/creamy with excellent balancing acidity, very long finish, a great wine, and I was a bit sorry to drink this last bottle of my small stash

- and a bottle of outstanding Sake, Hitosuji Jungin Black Junmai Ginjo, delicate and floral, sage and light roasted nut flavours, long finish

Cheers!

Posts: 8095 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
- 2001 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay Art Series -- yowza! big nose of fruit and flowers, in the mouth big fruit, dense apple, pineapple, peach, mineral, honey, buttery/creamy with excellent balancing acidity, very long finish, a great wine, and I was a bit sorry to drink this last bottle of my small stash

Leeuwin Art Series is an excellent chardonnay. Never had one with that much age though. Sounds great.

Posts: 9612 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Le Corton

Posts: 2465 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

Leeuwin Art Series is an excellent chardonnay. Never had one with that much age though. Sounds great.

Excellent indeed, and very hard to find in our market the last couple of years. Frown

posted Hide Post
2001 J.J.Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese today with lunch.

Excellent!