WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The best of many bottles opened with m/m thelostverse tonight at the Anvil Club (TLV, did we even get charged the $2 corkage tonight???):

N.V. Egly-Ouriet Champagne Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" 1er Cru- awesome, but not as an aperitif- would love this w/roasted chicken.
N.V. Ruinart Champagne Brut Rosé
1997 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford

Full list tomorrow...when I check my notes- none spilled tonight.

Best course: seared foie gras over rosemary toast points with maple poached pears and glazed baby beets and balsamic reduction.

Posts: 1591 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed at a friends house last night.

NV Billecart Salmon 1818 Brut Reserve
2010 Jean Marc Brocard Valmur Grand Cru Chablis
2003 Nicolas Potel Clos Saint Denis
2003 Chateau Malescot St Exupery
2004 Chateau Pontet Canet

Posts: 30085 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Domaine Diochon Moulin a Vent Beajolais
2010 Aphillanthes CdR 3 Cepages
NV Laurent-Perrier Brit Champagne

Posts: 5434 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

How were these? And do you have any thoughts on 2010 Chablis?

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:

How were these? And do you have any thoughts on 2010 Chablis?

TM, how are you?

Chablis has been the star for white Burgundy in '08, ' 09 and '10, and looks like '10 is the best of the three.

Pontet Canet continues to move towards a riper more modern style in my opinion, and the '04 is just that. So, I guess it is what one is seeking in their Bordeaux.

I hope we can catch up again very soon.

Posts: 30085 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
The best of many bottles opened with m/m thelostverse tonight at the Anvil Club (TLV, did we even get charged the $2 corkage tonight???):

N.V. Egly-Ouriet Champagne Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" 1er Cru- awesome, but not as an aperitif- would love this w/roasted chicken.
N.V. Ruinart Champagne Brut Rosé
1997 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford

Full list tomorrow...when I check my notes- none spilled tonight.

Best course: seared foie gras over rosemary toast points with maple poached pears and glazed baby beets and balsamic reduction.

Allred, I got hit with a whopping $2 charge last night. LOL You either got the rest, or Leann didn't charge us. Of course the whole staff was drinking with us.

In addition to the Egly-Ouriet, I opened:

2006 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch
2008 Bouchard Père et Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières Domaine de Chateau de Beaune

Another night of great company, food and wine. And no dry cleaning required. Big Grin

Posts: 3586 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler lay Kabinett
2005 Conn Valley reserve
2005 Darioush
2005 Quilceda Galitzine
2005 Revana

Posts: 1047 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A - thanks - I have been well. Spent most of January traveling or on vacation. It was nice.

That was my impression of the 2010 Chablis as well. I don't think I have bought any non-chablis white burgs since the 07 vintage.

About the pontet - if one were "blessed" with a few bottles - would you hold or drink?

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

About the pontet - if one were "blessed" with a few bottles - would you hold or drink?

2014 - 2024, imo.

posted Hide Post
2005 Betz La Serenne Syrah.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night....

1986 Hanzell Pinot
--I was blown away by this...first by the condition of the cork, then by the color (still ruby, with maybe a hint of garnet, but still so vibrant), then by the fruit of the nose, and the livliness by the palate. I was not expecting any of this...

2001 Jordan Cab
2006 Jordan Cab
2001 Karl Lawrence Cab
2009 Karl Lawrence

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Wine group will be getting together tomorrow night at my place. Serving cheeses and bread, crabbed-stull mushrooms, pork roast in mushroom sauce, egg noodles, and green beans, bacon and onions. Unless any last minute changes, wines will be:

2004 Wittmann Westhofener Morstein Riesling Spatlese
2003 Robert Jayer-Gilles Bourgogne Haut Cotes de Beaune CORKED
2005 Pali Wine Co. Cargasacchi Jalama Vineyard Pinot Noir
2005 MacPhail, Sonoma Coast, Pratt Vineyard Pinot Noir (MAGNUM)
2008 Torii Mor Willamette Valley
2008 Bergstrom Cumberland Reserve

After really pretty good luck with avoiding corked wines, this was the second straight wine group dinner where one of my wines was corked -- the other was French also.

Replaced it with a 2002 Ken Wright Savoya Vyd.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2750 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

2014 - 2024, imo.

Thanks - sounds about right.

I wonder how well these more international styled Bordeaux will age and drink and specifically - whether they will exhibit the same nose that older more traditional styles Bordeaux show. It's the aromatics that I originally fell in love with...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
Last night....

1986 Hanzell Pinot
--I was blown away by this...first by the condition of the cork, then by the color (still ruby, with maybe a hint of garnet, but still so vibrant), then by the fruit of the nose, and the livliness by the palate. I was not expecting any of this...

2001 Jordan Cab
2006 Jordan Cab
2001 Karl Lawrence Cab
2009 Karl Lawrence
Agree on the Hanzell Pinots. I've had these back to 1970 and all have been lively.

Posts: 928 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989 Miguel Torres Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Coronas Reserva Mas La Plana

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max Ferd. Richter Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spätlese 1999

Posts: 581 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend ITB ask me to drop by his place today. We tasted several vintages of Bodegas Los Astrales vs. Termes wines.

My overwhelming impression was, the Astrales wines are far more refined. Both wines are what I would call bold in their makeup and should improve with a few years of age.

posted Hide Post
Yesterday, wine that went into the beef bourguignon:

2007 Sabor Real Toro Vinas Centenarias

Last night, wine that accompanied the finished product:

2007 Hartford Court Chardonnay Four Hearts Vyd
2006 Jonata Todos
1998 d'Arenberg Ironstone Pressings

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1989 Miguel Torres Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Coronas Reserva Mas La Plana

Had this wine few years ago. Was pretty good, but faded away after 2 hours...

Posts: 855 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight, a 2010 Vidal-Fleury Saint-Joseph

Posts: 855 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Pride Cab Sauv
2008 Erna Schien Blender Boy

Posts: 1939 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Penfolds, Shiraz, St. Henri
2009 Pieropan, Soave Classico, La Rocca
2005 Chapoutier, Hermitage, Chante-Alouette

The Penfolds and Chapoutier were outstanding.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

Ever had the 2007 ? First St-Henri in the cellar, never opened one yet...

posted Hide Post
2006 Fontalloro - still sleeping.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

Ever had the 2007 ? First St-Henri in the cellar, never opened one yet...

No. I have a couple of 2005's but might go pick up a couple of the 07, since there are still some on the shelves. Hold. I've been told they show best after 10 years and my 2002 was certainly proof of that.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post