WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
For my wife's birthday on Saturday at Ici Bistro

Jean Milan Blanc de Blancs Special
1990 Leoville Poyferre Bow

I hope your food was as good as we found it.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:

I was going to ask. How was it? We've been meaning to go...

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuq_2001:
Over the weekend

2009 Mas de Boislauzon CDP
2009 Kosta Browne RRV Pinot
2009 Betz La Serenne Syrah
2008 Gary Farrell Bradford Mtn Zin
2010 Siduri Chehalem Mts Pinot

How was the Betz? Do you think it needs more time?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Sep 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nevada slim:
quote:
Over the weekend

2009 Mas de Boislauzon CDP
2009 Kosta Browne RRV Pinot
2009 Betz La Serenne Syrah
2008 Gary Farrell Bradford Mtn Zin
2010 Siduri Chehalem Mts Pinot

How was the Betz? Do you think it needs more time?

My first Betz Syrah, have had the cab and grenache previously. It really started to shine after about an hour in the decanter. Very balanced, I'd hold for a few more years.

www.mywinelist.net

Posts: 200 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Nov 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:

I was going to ask. How was it? We've been meaning to go...

Food, service and wine service were very good in a relaxed way. Highlights for me: bone marrow croquette with salsa verde, mushroom croquette, duck dish my wife ordered with breast in an amazing sauce and confit ravioli, seafood app with cognac marinated, then butter poached lobster, the souffle's made to order - Grand Marnier and dark chocolate and cherry.
It's too bad you have to reserve at least 2-3 weeks in advance as we're never organized enough. Overall a very enjoyable night and the '90 Leoville Poyferre is a stunner IMO.

Posts: 1692 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Jorge, I hope you are right on the Haut Tubee.

+1; This was the first Haut Tubee I had of any vintage and thus was surprised. Is this the profile in previous vintages as well and have those "turned around" with time on the bottle? Thanks.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1617 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Jorge, I hope you are right on the Haut Tubee.

+1; This was the first Haut Tubee I had of any vintage and thus was surprised. Is this the profile in previous vintages as well and have those "turned around" with time on the bottle? Thanks.

I think it's best that Paul respond, but I can share my experience.

I've purchased and consumed the Haut Tubee since the 2007 vintage. The wine is usually a very enjoyable, pretty fruit-forward, food-friendly, likable, field blend. The ones I've consumed are ready upon delivery. They may change a little with time, but I haven't been compelled to "leave them alone".

Fast-forward to the 2010, and it's a different experience. I think it's pleasant, but it seems much more acidic to me than previous vintages, and it seems tighter. It seems like a more "serious" wine, and not the simple field blend I've had in the past. The 2010 has a high amount of Syrah, which I think is adding to the complexity and acidity of the wine.

As I stated earlier, this is the first vintage I decide to leave alone for a while, as it's the only answer I can come up with when facing a wine that I find tight and a bit high in acidity. However, going back to my comment about the wine being "serious", it also excites me. If they can produce a "serious" wine that develops and gains complexity with a short amount of time in the bottle, all for 20 bucks, I'd be glad to hold on to these a little while!

Posts: 5001 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 Chateau De Villeneuve

Decent Chenin wine

Posts: 3721 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remnants of a 2009 Aphillanthes CdR Cuvee des Galets. This was opened late on Saturday. Simply put the cork back in and it's still holding on nicely.

Posts: 5490 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Ridge Lytton Springs.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Manzone Bricat Barolo- delish

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5758 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finewineonline:
89point Columbia Crest H3 Merlot . Chateau Margaux Bordeaux

what??

you drank these side by side?

Interesting comparison...

Posts: 5001 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Retailer trying some SEO tactics to rank for the wine linked.

www.mywinelist.net

Posts: 200 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Nov 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Lenne Estate Pinot

Posts: 3668 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At Dinner Last Night..

The 2003 Shannon Ridge Syrah(aged Beautiful), we had this with Lamb Oso Buco!
For Desert 2008 Vidal Ice Wine from Niagra County.

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Bernabeleva Viña Bonita – This is a wine I have wanted to try for a while. Really great expression of Grenache here with wonderful red berry fruit and some nice stone/mineral notes on the finish. Should be really fantastic with some age.

Posts: 6538 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Retailer trying some SEO tactics to rank for the wine linked.

wow...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
1999 Ridge Lytton Springs.

Are you used to older zinfandel ? I had last summer a 1997 Ridge Sonoma Station and it was incredibly good Smile

Posts: 893 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wine is beautiful now with many years of life ahead of it. I'm thinking my 09 and 2010 Lytton Springs will be just as long lived.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
The wine is beautiful now with many years of life ahead of it. I'm thinking my 09 and 2010 Lytton Springs will be just as long lived.

Glad to hear. Was planning (actually began) to pile up Ridge's zin to age at least 10 years...

Posts: 893 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, 2008 Lemelson Vineyards Pinot Noir Jerome Reserve, very dark, big cherry nose follows in the mouth, some anise, dense, powerful, long rich finish with fine tannins hanging on at the end, needs a couple more years or long decant, very good.

In decanter tonight, 2007 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Mount Carmel, great nose of berries and sandalwood incense, lots of raspberry and cherry flavours, serious herbal presence, basil, sage, sautéed mushrooms, very complex, big and silky in the mouth, very long finish, wonderful Pinot!

Cheers!

Posts: 8504 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Ojai Syrah Roll Ranch: Outstanding and always one of my favorite CA syrahs. Back to the LWS for more.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
In decanter tonight, 2007 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Mount Carmel, great nose of berries and sandalwood incense, lots of raspberry and cherry flavours, serious herbal presence, basil, sage, sautéed mushrooms, very complex, big and silky in the mouth, very long finish, wonderful Pinot!

Thx for the note, i love Brewer Clifton PNs. Just bought a couple of 2010s.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1617 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1953 Bodega Vega Sicilia Unico

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

1953 Bodega Vega Sicilia Unico

Is it Tuesday already? Eek

Cheers!

Posts: 8504 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post