WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Vincentric, as you know, Beaucastel has great aging potential. I typically wait 15-20 years, but if you have more than 1, it might be worth a flyer to try one and compare it with the others you open later. I still have '98 and '00 Beaucastel that are asleep.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5759 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2003 Beaucastel in December. I ran a tasting for a charity group who gave me a gift certificate to City Cellar where, on Mondays, bottles over $99 are half price. After looking at their list, I opted for the 2003 Beaucastel and had it decanted. It clearly needs time but was excellent. It was not nearly as good as the Le Vieux Donjon, but that may be related to needed aging. Unless you have at least 6 of these, I wouldn't open one now. With 1-3 bottles, I'd let it get to age 15 before opening one.

I'm still holding plenty of Beaucastels from the 1980s and 1990s.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Chateau Patache d'Aux

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night:

09 Kosta Browne RR PN - Good +

Tonight:

08 Freeman SC PN - Good

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at dinner

2008 Rivers Marie Chardonnay
2003 Pegau Reservee
1984 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

Very surprised by the RM. Having read many negative reviews of a spritzy wine this showed none of that and drank very well last night. The Pegau needs a lot more time and the DC was simply incredible once again.

Posts: 916 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks DoktaP and Board-O. I only have 3 of the 2003 Beaucastel, so I'll see if I can resist opening one for a bit longer.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
neighbor had a mardi gras party

i have no idea what I drank but this dude insisted that I drink miller lite with some amaretto.

.. BARF!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight a 2009 Domaine Eden Chardonnay with a potato and leek soup. Followed by a 2001 Pirramimma Shiraz with roasted lamb. The Pirammima took 3+ hours to open up, but when it blossomed, it was excellent.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
neighbor had a mardi gras party

i have no idea what I drank but this dude insisted that I drink miller lite with some amaretto.

.. BARF!

Lunch box?

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13596 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1994 Dominus
2003 Petrolo Galatrona WOTN
2005 Peter Michael Les Pavots

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 penfolds bin 707
1999 prieure lichine
1985 mondavi cab
1994 ridge montebello
1995 diamond creek red rock terrace

Posts: 1581 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Laurent-Perrier Brut

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a private Querce Bettina tasting with proprietors Sandra and Roberto, with KSC02 and Dj, Steve8 and J, Vinaigre and C, Uncle John and R, C. and J., basecadet and K, at Raza restaurant in Montreal, we had

2008 Rossi di Montelcino Querce Bettina
2007 Rosso di Montelcino Querce Bettina
2005 Brunello di Montelcino Querce Bettina
2006 Brunello di Montelcino Querce Bettina Riserva
2007 Brunello di Montelcino Querce Bettina

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6613 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Tonight a 2009 Domaine Eden Chardonnay with a potato and leek soup. Followed by a 2001 Pirramimma Shiraz with roasted lamb. The Pirammima took 3+ hours to open up, but when it blossomed, it was excellent.

I love Pirramimma and that vintage was second best to the fantastic 2000.

Btw, your wines will be in transit tomorrow with Basecadet.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6613 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
03 Frigialli Brunello

Posts: 5991 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95 Mondavi CS Reserve

Posts: 807 | Registered: Aug 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Siro Pacenti - very disappointing

Posts: 1002 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2x, 2002 Dom ( Warhol label)

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2x, 2002 Dom ( Warhol label)

I have one of these in your cellar, don't I?
It's been much too long since we're seen each other.

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Alzinger Loibenberg Smaragd Riesling -- very enjoyable

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's been much too long since we're seen each other.

This has got to change! Cool

posted Hide Post
Last night during dinner with billhike, dantherhonefan, thelostverse and our better halves:

N.V. Jean Laurent Champagne Brut Rosé
N.V. H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé
2005 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau
2009 Walter Hansel Winery Chardonnay The North Slope Vineyard
2011 Rasa Vineyards Riesling The Composer
1995 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Sixtine
2009 La Follette Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard
2008 Rasa Vineyards QED
2 x 2001 Maison Leroy Volnay (first bottle was corked, but there was a backup)
2009 Domaine les Aphillanthes Côtes du Rhône Villages Cuvée des Galets
2007 Château de Myrat

All three Chateauneufs showed beautifully.

Posts: 1614 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All three Chateauneufs showed beautifully

Glad to hear it. I've been opening more of these lately.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
2003 Petrolo Galatrona WOTN

Was this drinking well at 10 years of age or could it have benefited from a bit more time?

Posts: 582 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a few highlights from last night celebrating the old man's and his brother's birthday:

1995 Ducru
1995 Clerc-Milon
1989 Leoville Las Cases
1982 Ch Prieure-Lichine (en magnum)

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post