WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Pete Wells review of Guy Fieri in NY Times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pete Wells review of Guy Fieri in NY Times
 Login/Join 
posted
NY Times review

I'm sure some of you have read this. Thoughts?

Are people who read the NY Times restaurant review really interested in Guy Fieri's 500 seat restaurant in Times Square? Really? I'm not sure what Pete Wells was expecting but if I was visiting NYC and walked by this place, I would not have expected much more.

Posts: 1559 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you know the demographics of people who read the times? I can tell you a majority of them don't eat a Daniels, Jean Georges, Masa or Per se but these restaurants are reviewed anyway.

I felt the opinions were well covered and probably the same ones I'd given to espn zone when that was open. Except espn zone wasn't a celebrity chef that talks about actually having good food. I like triple d, and I would find it amusing that Guy doesn't even bother to try to make something better than average even if it's in time sq.

Though journalistically, I'd say that I didn't realize that the Ny times hired a 14 yr old girl posting on yelp.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11634 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
I like triple d

I wanna hate it, but I like it too. He reviews the type of places I like to visit when I'm having a "f___ it" culinary moment. If I'm headed to NYC to dine, this isn't the type of restaurant that would even be on my radar, so I don't really care if it's good or not.

PH

Posts: 14944 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
g-man, I actually don't know the demographics - my bad. My point was solely that I really wouldn't expect much more from a restaurant of this size and with all the options and talent in NYC - who really cares about nachos, blue drinks and donkey sauce?

Posts: 1559 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
g-man, I actually don't know the demographics - my bad. My point was solely that I really wouldn't expect much more from a restaurant of this size and with all the options and talent in NYC - who really cares about nachos, blue drinks and donkey sauce?

see PH's comment

because that's exactly why i would walk in. I cross that area for work sometimes and I'd just like to grab a beer, some nachos and donkey sauce. The irish pub gets old and I want something different after work.

if a place can't even get nachos right, then it's not even about low expectations.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11634 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writer had an agenda and took aim and fired

Posts: 5865 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

I found the writing to be weak. The frequency of snarky questions really got under my skin. Just write the review. Don't ask questions you already have the answers to. Was this actually published in the NYT, or is this another blog?

PH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PurpleHaze,

Posts: 14944 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've eaten many times at his Johnny Garlic's in Windsor (kid's favorite restaurant) and have enjoyed it every time. Food ranges from "glorified pub fare" to nicer entrees - I love the garlic clove rosemary chicken. Possible food prep not good at all in NY place but would be more interested in what Yelp reviews are like than the Times review.

Posts: 2384 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

I found the writing to be weak. The frequency of snarky questions really got under my skin. Just write the review. Don't ask questions you already have the answers to. Was this actually published in the NYT, or is this another blog?

PH

heh quality of NYT has certainly gone down.

maybe they're trying to lure the yelp crowd in ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
i find Times Square to be a mega tourist trap and would have very low expectations for the food served at any of the restaurants there. I think Glorified Pub Food is a great description and would set expectations accordingly.

Did you see the follow up story that the NYT hosted a 200 person party at this very restaruant the night before or day of the review publishing iirc? seems quite ironic.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 434 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
i find Times Square to be a mega tourist trap and would have very low expectations for the food served at any of the restaurants there. I think Glorified Pub Food is a great description and would set expectations accordingly.

never went to blue fin?

how about hagi right around the corner.

carmines is still a favorite of mine
as is tony's

i'm not sure why you think the restaurants in times sq can't put out good food and volume?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I heard papers are in trouble period. If they have to stoop to a lower level to keep making a living I can't hold that against them. Sounds like legitimate gripes despite the delivery.

Posts: 8644 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

never went to blue fin?

as is tony's

i'm not sure why you think the restaurants in times sq can't put out good food and volume?

you're obviously not a tourist in NYC....

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 434 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

never went to blue fin?

as is tony's

you're obviously not a tourist in NYC....

depends on how cute the person asking me is ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)