WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Food Pairing: 2005 Orin Swift The Prisoner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food Pairing: 2005 Orin Swift The Prisoner
 Login/Join 
posted
I have had a few bottles of 2005 The Prisoner and really enjoyed the wine. However, I am finding I tend to enjoy it more on its own then when paired with food. Thus far, I have tried it with a flank steak lightly seasoned and some very tasty BBQ from a place in Lafayette, CA. In both cases (even when I tried the bbq brisket without the sauce) I was underwhelmed by the pairing.

I am looking for suggestions from anyone who has actually paired this wine with food and found it to be a good match.

Me: You don't think the wine opened after an hour or two?
My gf: I liked it better when you first opened it. It was like getting hit in the face with a crowbar.
Me: Two-buck Chuck is like getting hit in the face with a crowbar.
My gf: Yeah, but this is a TASTY crowbar.

"De can or Decant" - My gf

Posts: 170 | Location: Walnut Creek,CA | Registered: Jun 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don P, I’m glad that you like this wine. I have previously tasted it and am glad that I have not bought any as I find it to be outrageously over-oaked and very manipulated. IMO, it’s just a “fake” wine. However, since you do enjoy it, it may just be one of those wines to drink on its own and without food. It may be OK with burgers from the grill.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 The Prisoner: WS 93

A delicious wine that offers the best of both worlds: zesty wild berry, spice and fresh tobacco, with focused, well-structured blackberry flavors. Plush, rich and concentrated, with a wonderful focus on the core fruit flavors. Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Petite Sirah and Charbono. Drink now through 2011. 20,000 cases made. –JL

Obviously, a matter of individual taste.

Posts: 92 | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Altaholic. I have to admit, my knowledge of wine is still minimal and I understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes. But I am curious, honestly, as to what you mean by "fake" and very manipulated? I am not trying to flame or troll here, just trying to get a better understanding of what you mean. Thanks.

My gf: I liked it better when you first opened it. It was like getting hit in the face with a crowbar.

Posts: 170 | Location: Walnut Creek,CA | Registered: Jun 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don P, By manipulated I mean that, to me, it appears that the winemaker produced a highly extracted wine to appease the masses. To my palate, the fruit in these wines tastes “fake” and almost like Hi-C fruit juice. The wines are often high alcohol fruit bombs. I will admit that I do drink a fair number of wines that probably are very similar to what I just described. I, however, have a definite preference for wines that are more food friendly and higher in acidity. My palate favors wines that are more rustic in nature and what most people would consider to be old world wines. I think wines such as the Prisoner definitely have their place but I, like you, often find that they are hard to match with food and are usually more enjoyable on their own. I was probably a bit harsh in my initial comments about this wine because there is nothing terribly offensive about it and it does have many fans but I just happen to not be one of them.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Altaholic, thanks for the explanation and helping me expand my understanding of some of the terminology used by everyone. Cheers.

posted Hide Post
I had it with lamb, and it was nice.

"Death is just so full - and man so small.
I am scared of what's behind and what's before."

Posts: 916 | Location: Philadelphia, PA and Atlantic City, NJ | Registered: Nov 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lamb - I'll have to try that ratso. You're probably right, a meat like lamb will probably work well. We are having lamb tonight but we are going with a Chateau Clarke 2001 - I'll have to give The Prisoner a shot next time. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Great thread!

I've had that wine and found it difficult to pair...but I didn't really like it on its own, either.

I also wonder if there is a bit of a hidden message in JL's review that would fit my experience of the wine.

JL mentions the "core fruit," which I agree with, except I found it overly simple.

He also doesn't mention anything about its finish, which is fine, because I would say that it seems to not have one.

Apologies if I sound "wine bitchy," I think I'm leaning toward Altaholic's opinion.

That being said, it was far better than drinking no wine at all!

So, to get to your question...

I've tried this wine on several occasions, "just because," and auditioned it with a selection of smoked/dried meats to see if the fat and "dried" flavors of the meat would meld with the wine, but that didn't pair too well. (The wine, to me, tastes almost like a grenache (maybe "grenache nouveau"?), so I hoped a grenache-style pairing would be advantageous.)

Even with steak and hamburgers, the wine just didn't seem to have the backbone to stand in with those foods.

Then, we tried it with a pasta dish with a dried tomato/sausage/cream/basil sauce to get a view of the wine from that angle, but while it toned down the one note flavor of the wine, it still didn't work out very well.

Last attempt was with eggplant "fritters," like trying to make crab cakes, only using eggplant, to see how the wine would do with a more fried and earthy type flavor, but it was an ill considered combination.

This wine has given me the dickens trying to pair it with food! I'll be avidly following the thread, and again, apologies if I sounded to "snobbish" in my lack of enthusiasm for this otherwise well regarded wine.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not had it but a very interesting blend, sounds like a blend Randall Grahm would try.

Posts: 9463 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post