WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    What's the best wine for Rack of Lamb?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best wine for Rack of Lamb?
 Login/Join 
posted
When I go into the Wine Matching section on this site, I get 23 different wines.

Now what's the real story? Who's got a perfect match?

Posts: 1046 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that I would say “perfect”, but I enjoy Syrah with any lamb. I prefer the old-world Syrahs from Northern Rhone. Also, CdP and Gigondas are good matches. I have also enjoyed Grenache with lamb – again, done in the old-world style.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Altaholic,

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
23 sounds about right. Lamb is served in many countries worldwide and the wine of choice is typically a regionally made wine. Having said that my top three favorite pairings are:

1. Syrah (Northern Rhone, Aussie or U.S.)
2. Bordeaux
3. Barolo

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13434 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's because there are at least 23 different ways to cook it.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"perfect Match" is a myth to keep people watching "experts" on TV.

Why not open a bottle of Syrah, Cabernet, and a Rhone blend and try them all and have your guests vote on thier favorite match?

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7598 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Bordeaux nowdays.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tempranillo is wonderful - Rioja
Southern Rhone (Syrah)
Pinot Noir - Latour

Posts: 177 | Registered: Jun 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Rioja!

Got acid?
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.

Posts: 1438 | Location: Redstate USA | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzikman:
Southern Rhone (Syrah)

Most of the unblended, or lightly blended, Syrah in the Rhone will be Northern, not Southern. In the North you get Hermitage, Cote Rotie, and Crozes-Hermitage. With the Cote Roties you will get Syrah blended with a small amount of Viognier but this is primarily for aromatics and a bit of added complexity. CdP, CdR, CdV, Gigondas, and Vacqueyras are all from Southern Rhone and will be more heavily blended, with Grenache being the primary grape. What Southern Rhone Syrah do you like? Sorry for the thread drift.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost any red wine will pair well with lamb. My preference is for Syrah or Zin or some of the more tannic varietals.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36736 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to lean to Rhone wines, my preference being CDP. New world syrah and tempranillo are also great matches.

Posts: 1565 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

Almost any red wine will pair well with lamb..

Bingo! Lamb is one of the most red wine-friendly of all meats.

About the only way you could have a bad match would be if you had some sort of unusual preparation, involving, say, marinating it in lemon or smothering it with chopped artichokes (which would detract from the flavour of the lamb as much as it would make a wine match a lot more difficult).

Personally, I like the wilder gamey/iodine-y flavours of some Northern Rhône Syrahs as a complement to the gaminess of lamb, but I can't think of a red varietal that I wouldn't enjoy with a nice rack.

'Cept maybe Pinotage. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8291 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more - Rosenblum Monte Russo Zin 2004 Reserve. An absolute killer wine that will pair perfectly with lamb! Smile

Enjoy!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We're having 14 for dinner on the 27th, and I'm going to put out 1999 St. Henry's Shiraz from Australia and 1999 La Bernardine CpD.

Posts: 1046 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there's any spiciness in your rub or marinade then a rich Aussie grenache would match well too.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10594 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here's a more challenging question:

Some of my guests are die hard white wine drinkers. What's the closest match I can find there?

I'm not too fond of over oaked Chardonnays, which is my first instinct. Any suggestions?

posted Hide Post
try a Pouilly Fuisse (Latour)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarV100:

Some of my guests are die hard white wine drinkers. What's the closest match I can find there?

I'm not too fond of over oaked Chardonnays, which is my first instinct. Any suggestions?

I'd go with that first instinct. If you have to have white with roasted lamb, the more full-bodied and strongly flavoured, the better, IMHO.

Cheers!

Posts: 8291 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool Any mint sauce with your lamb?

Posts: 834 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarV100:

Garnacha Blanc would be my only choice

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36736 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rioja 1st, Syrah 2nd.

-----------------------

www.VinoCritic.Com

Posts: 999 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Mar 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st choice - syrah
2nd choice - cab / bordeaux
3rd choice - Cali Pinot

Posts: 2598 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite wines is Quinto do Passadouro 2000, this wine has it all. Full bodied, rich, deep dark fruit flavors and does not cost a crap load. I will not give up the Importer for sake of being called a spammer.
Cheers

Posts: 170 | Location: Mill River | Registered: Jan 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CdP

Posts: 916 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Nov 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhone

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post