WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    rib roast - wine pairing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rib roast - wine pairing?
 Login/Join 
posted
Slow cooked rib roast, with salt, pepper, coriander, onions and garlic.

What wine?

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7199 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

What wine?
red!

"You throw a rock, I'm going to throw a concrete block back"

Posts: 827 | Registered: Oct 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inky:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

What wine?
red!
Sorry, just had to do it...go with an old world styled cali cab, bordeaux or rhone (i prefer northern). Oh, and if it were me, the more age the better...and one more thing, leave the coriander, onion and garlic off the meat. Good meat, cooked right, does not need it.

"You throw a rock, I'm going to throw a concrete block back"

Posts: 827 | Registered: Oct 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most reds are fine with a rib roast. I'll usually go with a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot based wine, but almost any dry, not overly acidic red will do. Personally, I don't enjoy pairing Pinot Noir with red meat, though many do.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37067 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snowed in, so we invited the neighbors over. Nice people who like wine.
Wound up with a 2001 Carruades de Lafite, Pauillac and a Benziger Oonapais 2005 (Sonoma)--it's a Bordeaux blend.
The Bordeaux got 92-94 points Wine Spectator: "Lots of tobacco, berry, currants and cedar character. Medium- to full-bodied, with good tannins and a fresh finish. Too good for a second wine." (03/02) According to Robert Parker: "...an impeccably made effort..." (04/02) K&L's notes - 42% Merlot, 50% Cab, 6% Cab Franc, 2% Petit Verdot. The merlot shines through here. Round and supple on the palate.

I really liked both wines. I opened them around 4:00. Decanted the Bordeaux. Just left the Benzinger to sit. Ate at 7 or so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: irwin,

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7199 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
irwin, sounds like a great night. For some reason the colder it gets here the more I feel like opening a bottle just to reward myself for the long agonizing winters we have.

Posts: 9502 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rib Roast is one of the reasons I age my cabs. Wink

Posts: 1910 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:

I age them because they taste better, but whatever floats your boat Sandy. Razz

Sandy... I coming to Denver in April.

Fair warning!

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:

Your warning is duly noted! Razz

Posts: 1910 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:

Your warning is duly noted! Razz

We need to round-up Stickman also.

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nice solid bord will do.

Finish dinner off with Port

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6427 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used some of my big New World type Oregon Pinot Noir's with rib roast with much success. The big 06's are drinking very well right now with steak or rib roast type meals.

Posts: 374 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: Feb 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a rib roast on Xmas eve with an '01 Nickel & Nickel Tench. The wine was in a great place, the tannins had smoothed out, it was plush, and tasted primarily of black olive and cloves. A great pairing!

Posts: 127 | Registered: Apr 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post