New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauerbraten
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,
I'm preparing a German themed meal Friday: sauerbraten, red cabbage, potato pancakes; heavy and acidic, lots of vinegar. Any suggestions for a wine pairing would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bier oder Deutsch Wein

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13658 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in Alsace I had sauebraten matched with Alsatian riesling and it did a very good job of lightening a heavy meal.

It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought. - P. G. Wodehouse

Posts: 3461 | Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind bier or wein,

hook your speakers and plazma TV and blast

this.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yah, don't fahget to unpimp your car. Say vot.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with German, Alsatian or Austrian wines to stay with the theme. We have had a few dinners along those lines. Here are some links to those dinners with food and wine pairing:

Alsatian Wine Dinner

Oktoberfest

Austrian dinner

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12356 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before the sauerbraten, red cabbage, and potato pancakes, have some caviar and Champagne. Next some cold poached lobster with ailoi and Chardonnay. Follow that with pan-seared magret with green peppercorn sauce accompanied by a Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Then have a cheese course with a Cabernet. Next, poached pears with a Scheurebe Eiswein. Then throw out the sauerbraten, red cabbage, and potato pancakes and remember to thank me.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37085 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh.....Board-O, it's a German themed dinner!

And what the hell is wrong with sauerbraten, red cabbage and potato pancakes anyway?? Confused

PH

Posts: 15344 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing is wrong with all that, as long as you don't eat it. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Uh.....Board-O, it's a German themed dinner!

Hey, I recommended an Eiswein with the poached pears! Big Grin

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37085 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations BO. You are slowly morphing into Serge. Your comments to Serge yesterday seem very appropriate here, "Your reply is useless".

VM

Posts: 12356 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not useless, secretary. Wrong, yet again. I tried to help the new poster from wasting a dinner. Just trying to help him raise his sights a bit is anything but useless. I'm guessing you're a big sauerbraten fan.

Actually, it's your post that is useless.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Bill asks for wine pairing advice and you insult him by saying he is wasting a dinner. What great advice. I'm sure Bill finds that very useful and not the least bit arrogant.

VM

posted Hide Post
Secretary, I told him how to improve his dinner. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that you prefer the sauerbraten to my suggestions. Now go find some links to post.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
lol Board-O, you are too much! Big Grin

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do try to help people. I even found a dinner date for Bella.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I don't mind a meal like this once in a while, though I prefer good beer with it rather than Riesling.

An Alsatian alternative, choucroute, has a variety of pork cuts and sausages with a milder sauerkraut, and works better with wine IMO.

Cheers!

Posts: 8624 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sauerbraten can be great (nevermind Board-O) but Schweinhaxen mmmm...

Posts: 231 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am making a sauerbraten today and I plan on pairing it with an 2008 H. J. Fabre Malbec Patagonia, simply because Malbec is just MADE for beef.

Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

Posts: 126 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post