WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Recommendations for Rice Cooker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for Rice Cooker
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a rice cooker. Any recommendations on a small (3 cup is proabably big enough; 6 certainly is), dependable and effective one that is relatively cheap? Things to look for or avoid?

TIA

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2755 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an Oster (Target?)- cheap and reliable. I think the key is to buy great rice (Kokuho Rose, e.g.).

Posts: 864 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one from a brand called Tiger about 10 years ago. Went to china town and asked "what do you use?"

It does as little as 1.5 cups and as much as 6 cups. I've never made my own rice since.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2364 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use a 6 cup one from the one with the elephant on the label

it's got a non stick pot

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12119 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tiger, elephant, or panasonic .. can't go wrong with any of those. they will be a tad on the expensive side but they truly are really good rice cookers.

they usually come with a non-stick pot, a measuring cup, and a rice paddle used for scooping out the rice but also use it to fluff up the rice. inside the pot, there will be measuring lines that will let use know how much water to use depending on how many cups of rice you make. don't try and use your own judgement. if you make 1 cup, make sure the amount of water used rises to the 1 cup line - no more, no less.

these rice cookers usually cook rice in about 20 mins. if a rice cooker takes longer than that, then toss it.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had several and found the ultimate Wink

it cooks the rice eavenly, and perfect! the only downside is that it cooks a litle slowly, but hey, mybe that is needed to cook it perfectly.

it's the zohirushi induction pressure cooker:
btw. i give sushiclasses and have got one /18 for the class and than because of the result a /10 for privat home-use:

ricecooker

chefalbino.com

https://www.facebook.com/albino.tuosto

Posts: 2594 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zojirushi is the elephant one =)
http://www.zojirushi.com/

You do need to swap out the non stick pot once every 4-5 years or so if it gets scratched up.

btw tallgirl

the cooking time depends on the rice you're cooking.

but typical carolina med grain rice is probably 20 minutes.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12119 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is relatively cheap? The Tiger and Zojirushi are both excellent (I had a Tiger and now have a Zojirushi). However, neither of them are much under $100, even for the smaller sizes..

CJ

Posts: 25 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJO:
What is relatively cheap? The Tiger and Zojirushi are both excellent (I had a Tiger and now have a Zojirushi). However, neither of them are much under $100, even for the smaller sizes..

CJ

There are a few things in life I spend money on.

gadgets related to things I put into my mouth are one of them.

this is the one i have

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush...ojirushi+rice+cooker

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
and if you dont mind a little old fashion look

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush...ojirushi+rice+cooker

this was the one i had before

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Just another option...

http://www.amazon.com/Cuckoo-C...s=cuckoo+rice+cooker

These are amazing. Pressure rice cookers have changed my life. White rice is fluffier and chewier. You can do mixed, brown, black, rice with beans, all with a touch of a button. No long soaks or hard legumes.

Posts: 1652 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wolfgang Puck rice cooker and steamer. Use it at least twcie a week.

Also does great steamed cod, salmon, veggies etc. Everything is done in less than 30 munutes.

About $ 40.

Luv it!

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6345 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
You do need to swap out the non stick pot once every 4-5 years or so if it gets scratched up.

this is true. but can you just buy the non-stick pot? i haven't searched enough to know. usually i see the entire unit for purchase but not parts.

quote:

btw tallgirl

true. i think on average most every day rice - is about 20 mins.

i've made everything from calrose (sushi), brown, red, and jasmine .. in the same rice cooker. i've never tried making basmati rice and definitely not arborio. Wink

i have the old fashion style one. it works and makes decent rice each time.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

this is true. but can you just buy the non-stick pot? i haven't searched enough to know. usually i see the entire unit for purchase but not parts.

quote:

btw tallgirl

true. i think on average most every day rice - is about 20 mins.

i've made everything from calrose (sushi), brown, red, and jasmine .. in the same rice cooker. i've never tried making basmati rice and definitely not arborio. Wink

i have the old fashion style one. it works and makes decent rice each time.

The pot is like 40$ =) so i usually buy the entire unit too.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I bought one in costco about 6 years ago for about $30 and use it almost daily. There is Tiger brand on costco.com for $100 now.

Posts: 76 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post