WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    December 2012 - what's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012 - what's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted
Tonight I'll grill a dry spice/herb rubbed pork tenderloin with some wood chips in a smoker box. Oven roasted potatoes and cranberry relish for sides. I see a southern Rhone or two in my future...

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oxtail soup with daikon and ramen noodles - deelish!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a blustery day here, so I think some beef stew is in order. It sure is nice to be able to start cooking again! Banana

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ham. Just finished simmering it in oatmeal stout. Now to finish it in the oven. Serving it with rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted butternut squash and some steamed broccoli.

Posts: 10116 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lobster Thermidor
Mixed green salad

Paired with:

2010 Domaine Pascal Cotat Sancerre Les Monts Damnés

JL

Posts: 1679 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Ham. Just finished simmering it in oatmeal stout. Now to finish it in the oven. Serving it with rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted butternut squash and some steamed broccoli.

Cool reading that made me physically salivate. Thanks

Posts: 15524 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beef and butternut squash stew

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1946 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baja style fish tacos
Paired with beer!

JL

Posts: 1679 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pizza night

Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bouillabaisse. Two types of clam (Wedge and Littlenecks), mussels, halibut and cod with some homemade lobster stock I had in the freezer.

Posts: 10116 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled cheese with cambozola and prosciutto on sourdough ciabatta.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1946 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ribeye Steaks with grilled asparagas and mushroom risotto.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poached burdock with sesame sauce
Tuna/ginger/miso tartare

Temple garden soup, autumn style

Miso broiled marlin
Steamed daikon in yuzu-miso sauce
Impatient pickle
Mustard/ponzu/carrot salad
Rice with grains

Lots of sake.

Posts: 1553 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lamb burgers and sweet potatoe fries

Posts: 2550 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrific birthday dinner at Vic and Anthony's

Wedge salad
Tomato and mozzarella
Bone-in prime ribeye
Prime NY strip
Alaskan king crab legs
Creamed spinach
Braised mushrooms
French fries
Roasted brussels sprouts
Chocolate cake
Croissant and bread pudding

Paired with NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne
2008 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon

Posts: 1608 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alinea this past Saturday night. Standouts- hot potato/cold potato and black truffle explosion- game changers. But $500 all in with the basic wine pairing?? I still prefer a steakhouse with a single bad ass bottle of wine. Still glad to have tried it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braised oxtail tonight I think.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3483 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Braised oxtail tonight I think.

With roasted bone marrow salad as a starter.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3483 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Alinea this past Saturday night. Standouts- hot potato/cold potato and black truffle explosion- game changers. But $500 all in with the basic wine pairing?? I still prefer a steakhouse with a single bad ass bottle of wine. Still glad to have tried it.

Eek Per person or per couple?

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:

Per person...and we passed on the white truffle and reserve wine options :/

Posts: 869 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last Night:

- Slow smoked pork shoulder (16 hours w/ a 75-25 blend of Apple & Pecan wood), on toasted pretzel buns.

- Brown sugar & bourbon baked beans, w/ extra bacon Big Grin

* Paired with an '08 Alban "Patrina" Syrah

Posts: 1569 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They must have raised their prices, or your table left an extraordinary tip. Last time I was there about 18 months ago the bill was just over $400 pp and that was the 25 course tasting with the reserve wine wine pairings.

Still ranks as the most creative meal I have ever experienced, hands down.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I would have expected it to be more. I thought prices were comparable to Per Se and Joel R. in Vegas. Alinea is not high on my list of must tries. I've become tired of that style of cooking for the most part.

Posts: 6516 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Alinea this past Saturday night. Standouts- hot potato/cold potato and black truffle explosion- game changers. But $500 all in with the basic wine pairing??

Not a bad price at all, really.

EB, have you enjoyed white truffles in the past?

Posts: 30136 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alinea has changed to a ticketing system similar to Next. You pay for the experience, including service, prior to dining. This was $325 in our instance.

White truffle service offered for $150 per. Basic wine pairing $150 per and reserve $250...all inclusive of service.

wine+art- never white Frown

Forgot to mention the aged Pu-erh tea (25 year?) enjoyed following the meal- wow!