WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    December 2012 - what's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012 - what's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Alinea this past Saturday night. Standouts- hot potato/cold potato and black truffle explosion- game changers. But $500 all in with the basic wine pairing?? I still prefer a steakhouse with a single bad ass bottle of wine. Still glad to have tried it.

Eek Per person or per couple?
I would have expected it to be more. I thought prices were comparable to Per Se and Joel R. in Vegas. Alinea is not high on my list of must tries. I've become tired of that style of cooking for the most part.

GlennK, I'm in your corner with that. Too many strikes vs. things I actually want to eat. Also, if I'm going to do a 15+ course tasting menu, it obviously is not about the wine. + with the knowledge on this board, is there really any chance anyone will feel like they received fair value for $250 pp for wine? 2 Cents

Posts: 1667 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny coincidence - I dined at Next on Sunday. Hands down the best dining experience I've had. The food was absolutely amazing (persistent through the entire menu). The reserve wine pairing was very good. I think the cold sake and a white (Chateau Simone) were the highlights for me, followed by the Maderia (Rare Wine Co., NY). All said, the thing that stood out was service: intelligent, fun and extremely hospitable. Worth every dime and I'm excited to visit again for another menu - if I can secure tickets!

Posts: 39 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jan 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mignons de porc a l'ail

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prime NY Strips with veggies on the grill and a red yet to be determined.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butter chicken
Curry fish
Mushroom matter paneer
Aloo gobi masala
Onion bujji

Posts: 2546 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Table for one at Rules tomorrow night.

Looking forward to some roast wild duck, though the desk did say there might be some woodcock.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2366 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having just acquired 12 green sea urchins it looks like dinner will have sushi as a starter. Now it's time to clean them. And drink some Sterling Central Coast 2009 Cab Sav.

Posts: 1678 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broiled lobster tails and Grand Cru Chablis

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had some usda prime sirloin making a beef pot pie

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braised Beef cheeks in a star anise and bay leaf reduction on top of a black truffle infused celeriac puree

Posts: 1134 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mexican Hot Dish.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
croque monsieur in mornay sauce topped with fried egg. green salad. st. joseph.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assorted Quebec Cheeses
(NV Krug)

Tuscan Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes
(1997 Ornellaia
1998 Sassicaia)

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Assorted Quebec Cheeses

Although I'd be extremely jealous because I can't get it here, I hope some Sauvagine was on that list.

Tonight was steak frites with roasted brussell sprouts, which was nice, but the highlight was dessert - a French toast stuffed with triple cream Brie and roasted strawberries. OMG...

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1940 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope some Sauvagine was on that list.

Interestingly, Mrs. DP and I split a wedge of Sauvigine and french stick with slices if italian sausage for dinner with some Cali-Chard.

Lovely and light Friday dinner for 2 watching "A Good Year" on the TV.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5726 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assorted Quebec Cheeses
(NV Krug)

Tuscan Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes
(1997 Ornellaia
1998 Sassicaia)

When I come to your home for dinner, that is exactly what I am hoping you will serve! Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8444 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
When I come to your home for dinner, that is exactly what I am hoping you will serve! Smile

It would be an honor for you to visit, Seaquam.
You visit and I will serve exactly that for you Wink

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Assorted Quebec Cheeses

I hope some Sauvagine was on that list.

Nope. Not this time.

Chevre Noir 3 Ans
Zacharie Cloutier Pur Brebis (Lait Cru)
Pikuba d'Hebertville
Kenogami d'Hebertville
Plein Lune (triple-creme)

posted Hide Post
Dinner served at our holiday wine party.

Hors d’oeuvre:
Sautéed jumbo lump crab meat with sweet butter, shallots and capers on brioche toast
Beef carpaccio and blue cheese lollipops
Duck confit and scallion bundles

Dinner:
Ancho cherry glazed loin of Axis venison, charred and sliced thin, juniper berry and brandy reduction
Oven roasted red snapper with orange butter and crispy shallot
Maple black pepper basted boneless Bobwhite quail with jambalaya stuffing on roasted red pepper polenta
Woodland mushroom and asparagus risotto
Napoleon of grilled squash, eggplant, carrot, mushroom and tomato
Tian of sweet and russet potatoes with Gruyere
Spinach, frisee and arugula salad with crumbled prosciutto, toasted walnuts, pears and raspberry vinaigrette

Dessert:
Dried fig and cranberry popovers
Dark chocolate and Luxardo cherry crème brûlée
Homemade white chocolate bark with nuts and dried fruits

Posts: 1605 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friends over tonight:

- Duck and black truffle paté, homous on cucumber rounds, 12-month Manchego
- 2006 Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Chanté Alouette

- Sea scallops with apple and endive, Alsatian style
- 2001 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Furstentum Veilles Vignes

- Salad

- Roast duck and shitake mushroom risotto with tarragon
- 2004 Mathilde et Yves Gangloff Cote-Rotie La Sereine Noire
- 1999 Delas Freres Cote-Rotie Seigneur du Maugiron

- Granny Smith apple pie with aged Cheddar cheese
- 2001 Alois Kracher Welschriesling Nummer 8 Zwischen den Seen Trockenbeerenauslese

There's a bottle of Pinot Noir that has to be fit in at some point as well. After that, it's Remy Martin XO and coffee, and we're done.

Cheers!

Posts: 8444 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lasagna from scratch.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled Ham and Cheese Sammy.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stone crab

Rack of lamb

Posts: 2296 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Friends over tonight:

- Duck and black truffle paté, homous on cucumber rounds, 12-month Manchego
- 2006 Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Chanté Alouette

- Sea scallops with apple and endive, Alsatian style
- 2001 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Furstentum Veilles Vignes

- Salad

- Roast duck and shitake mushroom risotto with tarragon
- 2004 Mathilde et Yves Gangloff Cote-Rotie La Sereine Noire
- 1999 Delas Freres Cote-Rotie Seigneur du Maugiron

- Granny Smith apple pie with aged Cheddar cheese
- 2001 Alois Kracher Welschriesling Nummer 8 Zwischen den Seen Trockenbeerenauslese

There's a bottle of Pinot Noir that has to be fit in at some point as well. After that, it's Remy Martin XO and coffee, and we're done.

I'm too embarassed to say after reading that.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Nicely done Seaquam. Tonight was prime rib, oven roasted potatoes, steamed cauliflower and sautéed green beans and triple chocolate mousse cake.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post