WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    December 2012 - what's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012 - what's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
there's an offley baron de forrester tawny colheita 1980 for $58.50 but anything beyond that is out of my price range. next would be a 1935 for $517.

i appreciate that you've all put up with my 'novice'-ness with wine. i do learn a lot from this board.

port is new to me. only recently have i been introduced to stuff like tokaji, madeira, sherry, and port.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:
there's an offley baron de forrester tawny colheita 1980 for $58.50 but anything beyond that is out of my price range. next would be a 1935 for $517.

i appreciate that you've all put up with my 'novice'-ness with wine. i do learn a lot from this board.

port is new to me. only recently have i been introduced to stuff like tokaji, madeira, sherry, and port.

get the offley

they make some good tawnies.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12021 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More Braised Pork Belly Sliders.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cabbage and daikon udon in duck broth.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled some outer skirt steak last night over mesquite.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Grilled some steak

Nice to see you walking out on that limb, as usual! Razz

Posts: 5432 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Grilled some steak

Nice to see you walking out on that limb, as usual! Razz

Our son came home from college, and I was just thrilled that he didn't request Domino's. Big Grin

Posts: 3586 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
due to food poisoning yesterday, it's congee with steamed veggies for me tonight as oppose to fried chicke n=(

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12021 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skate wing with preserved lemons and a cheese tray

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3471 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm making chili tonight - using PH's recipe - for consumption tomorrow night at a family gathering.

I'll be doubling the recipe - based on the size of my family. I do live in Utah, after all.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6094 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I'm making chili tonight - using PH's recipe - for consumption tomorrow night at a family gathering.

I'll be doubling the recipe - based on the size of my family. I do live in Utah, after all.

I didnt see this recipe? What type of meat is used?

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2740 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a lot of pressure, gigabit! Eek I hope it comes out well. Had some leftover a few days ago with some sharp cheddar and a dollop of sour cream. Hit the spot.

marcb7: Clicky.....

It uses ground beef AND beans, so not for the purists among us. A good basic recipe to work off of though.

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

That's a lot of pressure, gigabit! Eek I hope it comes out well. Had some leftover a few days ago with some sharp cheddar and a dollop of sour cream. Hit the spot.

marcb7: Clicky.....

It uses ground beef AND beans, so not for the purists among us. A good basic recipe to work off of though.

PH

Beans? Red Face

Surely you jest! Wink

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Table for one at Rules tomorrow night.

Looking forward to some roast wild duck, though the desk did say there might be some woodcock.

I did indeed have roast wild duck with roast potatoes. Wonderfully good.

On the same trip (got back this morning) had a nice roast pheasant breast with bacon, chestnuts and brussel sprouts.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great dinner in Chalons, a puff pastery on shallots, faisselle aux herbes, pan fried pork tenderloin, shepperds pie, no dessert tonight. lunch reservations in Epernay tomorrow.

Posts: 1097 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds very nice, Jabe. Where in Epernay? If you drive the 10 minutes to Ay, Le Vieux Puits is the best restaurant we found in the region.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled some prime rib eyes tonight and had some sautéed green beans, carrots and cauliflower. Tasty!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Making lasagne tonight for some friends. Guessing that leftovers will be dinner for the next few days after that at least.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2750 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled some pizzas last night.

posted Hide Post
Pork belly with sauteed wild mushrooms, port wine and glazed cherries.

Rack of lamb with macadamia nut crust, sweet garlic potato gnocchi and onion jam.

Chocolate souffle

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Osso Bucco last night at Italian Village. Good, but it's better at Carlucci IMO.

Posts: 5432 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Osso Bucco last night at Italian Village. Good, but it's better at Carlucci IMO.

Did you pick up any Didier wines?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:

Did you pick up any Didier wines?

No, but we had a really nice 2002 red Burg. They only have 1 vintage of Par Sang remaining on their list.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Sounds very nice, Jabe. Where in Epernay? If you drive the 10 minutes to Ay, Le Vieux Puits is the best restaurant we found in the region.

We ate at Chez Max, in Magenta. Don't be fooled by the cheesy flashing neon sign in front...the food is very good.

Posts: 1097 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you recommend it or have you liked other places better? I expect to be heading back to Champagne next year. Our final night is always a picnic Champagne dinner in the hotel courtyard. Other than that and Le Vieux Puits, we'll probably look for a new place.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post