WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    December 2012 - what's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012 - what's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Was in Bin 36 downtown last night and ordered fried chicken with sausage gravy and biscuits. Odd to order fried chicken in a good restaurant, but thought I'd try it. It was amazingly good. The sausage gravy had peas and carrots in it, so the effect was much like a chicken pot pie. Nice touch and quite tasty.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3497 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Was in Bin 36 downtown last night and ordered fried chicken with sausage gravy and biscuits. Odd to order fried chicken in a good restaurant, but thought I'd try it. It was amazingly good. The sausage gravy had peas and carrots in it, so the effect was much like a chicken pot pie. Nice touch and quite tasty.

Best fried chicken I've had downtown was at Table 52 if you're ever feeling crazy again.

Posts: 895 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ate at the Modern tonight.

Fantastic meal.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12400 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired by GA's post in the Roast thread:

Roast Chicken

Posts: 15645 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lasagna.

Posts: 9493 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good eats in Seattle this weekend. Friday night was a surprise 30th b-day party for a friend that first started at Staple and Fancy which is owned by Ethan Stowell, who is kind of the it chef of the moment in Seattle according to our friends. Creative cocktails and simple Italian food were well presented, but was hit and miss taste wise. My rigatoni with guanciale was nice, but included a crazy amount of pecorino that overpowered the dish. I literally had to push most of the cheese to the side to make the dish more balanced. Best dish was a braised pork shank with polenta and winter veggies. It was truly a perfect winter dish.

Best meal was Saturday night at Dahlia Lounge. We decided to just do some shared small plates and they were all fantastic. Started with some stuff from the raw bar included dungeness crab, kampachi and ahi tuna. Shrimp and scallion potstickers were the best I’ve had and an oxtail ravioli in a brown butter sauce was as good as it sounds. Finished with fresh doughnuts and cream caramel flan type thing with a perfect rice crispy treat on top. I’m not a dessert guy, but both were knockouts.

Also enjoyed a lunch at Purple Wine Bar and Café with just a soup and sandwich combo that was nice and comforting.

Posts: 6567 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veal liver
Sauteed onions
asparagus

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6418 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

Best meal was Saturday night at Dahlia Lounge.

Tom Douglas, the restaurateur who owns this place, has about half a dozen more places in Seattle, each one of which is really, really good. Just around the corner from Dahlia is Serious Pie, absolutely one of the very best pizza places I've ever been to. Had I known you were going to Seattle, I would have suggested that for an excellent lunch. Lola's, across the street, has a great bar and also very good food.

We like Purple Wine Bar too, esp. for its selection of Washington wines by the glass (or bottle).

Cheers!

Posts: 8588 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was Atlantic salmon in a parchment pouch with garlic, sliced lemons, yellow bell pepper strips, arugula, and dry vermouth, with stir-fried vegetables on the side. Perfect accompaniment was 2008 Bret Brothers Pouilly-Fuissé En Carementrant, outstanding Chardonnay with green apple and citrus flavours, and extremely long finish, a true relative bargain in good white Burgs.

Cheers!

Posts: 8588 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Grilled some steak

Nice to see you walking out on that limb, as usual! Razz

Grilled some prime NY Strips last night. The raw steaks were so beautiful, it almost seemed a shame to grill them. But I did. Big Grin

Posts: 3604 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veal roest with sweet taters

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6418 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
(Nasi Goreng)

This may be the first nasi goreng post I've seen on the boards. How did you come to know of this, if I may ask?

PH

It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe. We made this for a dinner with Vino Me, Allred and Anwar back in September and it seemed to go over well. I know I loved it.

This was excellent.

VM

Posts: 12340 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
veal tenderloin with mushroom madeira sauce

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3497 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Would you recommend it or have you liked other places better? I expect to be heading back to Champagne next year. Our final night is always a picnic Champagne dinner in the hotel courtyard. Other than that and Le Vieux Puits, we'll probably look for a new place.

Our first time through the region. The food was very good, but not excellent. They were accomdating of young children however, which tipped the scale for us. That being said, we were the only non-French people in there, there was no availability, prices were reasonable, very non-pretentious, not the deepest wine list, but plenty for our purpose. I would go back but it seems there are so many places around to try.

Posts: 1189 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correction: the creme brulee was excellent, as was my wife's filet in a red wine reduction.

Posts: 1189 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinion. We found a place like that a couple of years ago.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37054 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love that dish!

Tonight I am going to try to make avgolemono soup, which looks pretty easy. Soup and salad will have to hold me until the weekend when we're out to dinner each night. 'Tis the season.

Cheers!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

I love that dish!

Tonight I am going to try to make avgolemono soup, which looks pretty easy. Soup and salad will have to hold me until the weekend when we're out to dinner each night. 'Tis the season.

This is the third different way I've made the sauce and this was definitely the winner. I used Bourdain's recipe this time.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Pork chops and Brussels sprouts on the grill.

Posts: 5527 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paprika crusted mahi-mahi. Looking for another prep for this.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Broiled flounder and a salad

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37054 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Panko crusted pork chops

Posts: 895 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biltong, a french stick and fresh cold salty butter along with a 2006 Ernie Els.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2474 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked pork chops, cream of cauliflower soup with truffle, Bourgogne Rouge.

Got acid?
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.

Posts: 1442 | Location: Redstate USA | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rack of lamb with a Chianti Clssico Riserva, forgot which one. Does it really make a difference? Banana

Just one more sip.