WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Cheeses that Do Not Need Refrigeration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheeses that Do Not Need Refrigeration
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anybody know of any cheeses that do not require refrigeration? (besides Velveeta)

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on how soon you'll be consuming them, but generally hard cheeses like a parmesan or romano do ok for a while without refrigeration, if you keep them in an airtight container. It also depends on whether you keep the temperature inside your house at, say 65 degrees instead of 80. Oh, and there's that Easy-cheese stuff in a can. Big Grin

Posts: 388 | Location: In the middle of the polar vortex | Registered: Apr 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need cheese that can be left out of the refrigerator for about one week.

Yes, I have thought about the easy spray cheese in a can; however, I don't think I will be craving that.

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it depens,

- you like to ripen the cheese "not refrigarate"
- you like to eat it soon "not refrigarate"
- you are storing cheese for long term like parmesan for pasta "keep cool"

- only "raw-milk" cheese do ripen nice!

the wine cellar would work perfect but beware,
mold can go everyware.

chefalbino.com

https://www.facebook.com/albino.tuosto

Posts: 2594 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
I need cheese that can be left out of the refrigerator for about one week.

Slide it back into the cold.... I'm not coming over for dinner.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slide it back into the cold.... I'm not coming over for dinner.

You don't come over for the dinner... Eek You come over to put other things in your mouth

posted Hide Post
Is there such a thing as good canned cheese?

posted Hide Post
Canned cheese goes really well with instant baguette in bag. Just add water and throw it in a microwave oven.
Prepare your buds, they will be entertained.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the idea Grunhauser if you want to be a smartass about it. I will be in a third-world country and more than likely I want my damn cheese, something I can pack and will stay good for 7 days.

posted Hide Post
What country?

posted Hide Post
Nicaragua

posted Hide Post
They have cheese there. Don't worry, you won't lose a pound, honey.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grunhauser:
They have cheese there. Don't worry, you won't lose a pound, honey.

Big Grin

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So get a little block of, say, Grana Padano, and take it with you, and nibble on it until it doesn't look or taste right. Do you have one of those vacuum sealers? That would probably help, maybe chunk it up into single servings or 2-day portions. Are you going to have any problems with customs, taking in food products?

Posts: 388 | Location: In the middle of the polar vortex | Registered: Apr 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jennj007:
So get a little block of, say, Grana Padano, and take it with you ...

By 3rd day you'll need the choppers of a beaver to nibble on it. But look at it this way, you crack a chunk off, tuck it behind your cheek and enjoy for evernight nutrients release. You can also use it as a weapon, a tool and a bargaining chip. Tell the natives it's a prescious stone from Baltic Sea - ooohh, amber!! Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
Nicaragua

look forward to hearing about the inevitable complaints about the "incompetent service" over there! Eek

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This won't help the Nicaraguan invasion but - Most or all cheese doesn't need refrigeration and shouldn't be put in plastic bags either. Butcher's paper can be the way to go, as cheese needs to breathe. If you ever get to see good cheese being made or go into the cellars under a cheese shop in say, France, nothing is artificially chilled.

That being said, I don't think I'd stroll around Managua or Matagalpa with some limburger in a paper lunch sack in what will likely be 90+ F temps.

Get it there, the word is "queso"...

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes..."
Lt Frank Drebin

Posts: 748 | Location: St Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very aware that queso is sold there but we probably won't be stopping at any grocery stores.

For the most part, we will be in Selva Negra, so temps should be mild atleast and then we go into clinic during the days in Jinotega (I believe).

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

chefalbino.com

https://www.facebook.com/albino.tuosto

Posts: 2594 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yazookle:
look forward to hearing about the inevitable complaints about the "incompetent service" over there! Eek

LOL...EXACTLY what I was thinking... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

--------------------------
Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

Posts: 6994 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:

LOL...EXACTLY what I was thinking... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
You have now been "black listed" pyang. Mad

posted Hide Post
Frumunda cheese doesn't require refridgeration.

Posts: 471 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike1026,
That is just disgusting! And to think, I was going to go to Whole Foods today and ask for frumunda cheese. Mad

posted Hide Post
LOL!

Big Grin

Posts: 471 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kraft's Cheez Whiz will last indefinately on the pantry shelf and available in handy 2.2lb jars. Delicious!

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post