WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Duck cold cut??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duck cold cut??
 Login/Join 
posted
I happened to mention to someone that I was in the mood for some Peking Duck and Gewurztraminer, and they mentioned that they enjoyed some "duck cold cuts" the other night - has anyone heard of this? I've had duck in several of its processed forms, but have never come across a cold cut. I don't even know why one would bother with a duck cold cut...

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked, I'm guessing. I've had an appetizer of thinly sliced cold smoked goose in a nice restaurant.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36741 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they mean duck "prosciutto." The breast is cured and then sliced thinly. It's delicious, especially the fat layer.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Smoked, I'm guessing. I've had an appetizer of thinly sliced cold smoked goose in a nice restaurant.

I had a charcouterie plate with some similar meats and it was quite delicious...

quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Maybe they mean duck "prosciutto." The breast is cured and then sliced thinly. It's delicious, especially the fat layer.

Do you have any local places that you can recommend?

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
d'Artagnan makes it

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36741 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Economist:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

I had a charcouterie plate with some similar meats and it was quite delicious...

quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

Do you have any local places that you can recommend?

Scheffler's Deli and Whitehouse Meats at the St. Lawrence Market carry it. The other Whitehouse locations in the city will also have it. Technically you could go to Cumbrae's, Pusateri's, etc, also. It's all coming in from Quebec anyway, just like the majority of other duck products.

Board-O: No need to order from d'Artagnan when we can get all this stuff by basically walking down the street. Besides - cross-border shipping of meat and cheese is a pain in the ass and almost as contentious as shipping wine.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The markets near us carry it.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
This is great; thanks to both for links and locations. I might swing by the market this evening and pick some up to enjoy with a... not sure, but something that will cut through the fat.

posted Hide Post
In Aix-en-Provence, many years ago, I had what amounted to, something between duck ceviche and duck priscutto. It was cured/brined and served without ever having been warmed. Had it on a salad. Quite good.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7499 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post