WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    wine pairing with salmon tartare
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wine pairing with salmon tartare
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm bringing wine to a dinner party with rillettes as a starter, salmon tartare next and foies gras third course. Wild board as main. I'm thinking this is a tough assignment for wine pairing as I'll need four different wines: my thoughts are a red Burgundy for the rillettes, white Burgundy or Sancerre for the salmon tartare, Sauternes with the duck liver and a Crozes Hermitage with the boar. Any thoughts? Is there a single wine I can bring that will work with both the rillettes and salmon tartare?

Posts: 296 | Location: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a single wine I can bring that will work with both the rillettes and salmon tartare?

I would think that a subdued pinot noir would do the trick.

PH

Posts: 15056 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PH,

If I decided to keep my Sauternes at home would the pinot noir work with the foie gras? I've got a bunch of pinot now, thinking about either a 2002 or 2004 La Crema Sonoma Coast. And, in keeping with this Calli theme would a decent Zin (Caymus Napa 2004) work with the boar or should I stick with something more full bodied? I just want to simplify my wine offerings for this meal. Cheers.

Posts: 296 | Location: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bowser:
PH,

If I decided to keep my Sauternes at home would the pinot noir work with the foie gras?

A lot would depend on how the foie gras was being prepared, but I'd pass on this pairing. Stick with the Sauternes. There is something about the richness of the foie gras and the counterpoint with the sweetness and acidity of the foie gras that just seems to work wonderfully together.

PH

Posts: 15056 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a single wine I can bring that will work with both the rillettes and salmon tartare?

Assuming that the rillettes are made with pork and heavily salted as has been my experience; I would think that brut champagne might work well with both.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A big oaky Chardonnay

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'd go with a pinot from oregon, but i do not know what a rillette is... Eek Razz

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rillette = pork pate, sort of.

posted Hide Post
Rillettes can be made from any meat. My favorite is duck.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post