WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Wine Pairing for Crab
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Pairing for Crab
 Login/Join 
posted
We are going to a charity crab feed this weekend in Napa. It is BYOB. Any suggestions on a wine pairing for crab. The crab will be boiled/steamed and accompanied with butter, cocktail sauce, lemon, etc. I was thinking Sauvignon Blanc? Riesling?

Posts: 2 | Location: St. Helena, CA | Registered: Oct 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
viognier. yummmmmmmmmm Smile

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Springmtnlover:
We are going to a charity crab feed this weekend in Napa. It is BYOB. Any suggestions on a wine pairing for crab. The crab will be boiled/steamed and accompanied with butter, cocktail sauce, lemon, etc. I was thinking Sauvignon Blanc? Riesling?

Sauvignon Blanc always works for me with fresh crab (local dungeness I assume). St. Supery or Kenwood should be tasty and crisp enough, and won't break the bank.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8869 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the options above and also think a good chardonnay would match up nicely with the butter sauce.

I love champagne and crab.

edited for typos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Een,

Posts: 1068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Jun 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Champagne

Posts: 4201 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so basically, almost any white!LOL i'll throw albarino out there too, even tho i have not tried the combo yet. i can't imagine that it wouldn't work...

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will see your albarino and raise you a falanghina....

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9635 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got you all beat...

D'Arenberg Marsanne/Viognier The Hermit CRAB

Go HOKIES!!!

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
might as well invite some Germans in from the Mose!

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Santa Cruz Mountains Chardonnay is always my first choice with local Dungeness crabs.

Loire Valley Chenin Blanc is my second pick.

I drink more white wine during crab season than any other time of the year.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7598 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another... L'Aventure Roussanne.

Posts: 6 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Jun 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St. Suprey is my pick.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Springmtnlover:

Sauvignon Blanc always works for me with fresh crab (local dungeness I assume). St. Supery or Kenwood should be tasty and crisp enough, and won't break the bank.

Posts: 1411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most whites will be fine. I'd avoid a huge wine like a Garnacha Blanca.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36736 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are going to a charity crab feed this weekend in Napa. It is BYOB. Any suggestions on a wine pairing for crab. The crab will be boiled/steamed and accompanied with butter, cocktail sauce, lemon, etc.

One of my favorite things to rip into - especially outside in the summer.

quote:
so basically, almost any white!

Got that right. One of the few times I barely pay attention to the wine I'm drinking.

I usually do this by steaming (don't boil! - takes a lot of the flavor out) with Olive oil, butter, garlic and fresh parsely. Yum!

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butter? Lemon? Delicate flavour of crab?

Chablis!

Cheers!

Posts: 8291 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a Sancerre or a Pouilly Fume. The acidity and minerality is a nice counter to the sweetness of the crab. If you use lots of drawn butter (I don't), a CA chardonnay is good.

Posts: 3029 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I forgot to say: I'd skip the lemon. Lemon is for cold crab cocktail, not steamed butter ones. It's also a big roadblock to your wine matching.

Lemon is the biggest wine killer out there.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
Lemon is the biggest wine killer out there.

over asparagus??? Eek Razz

Go Yankees! Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

Chablis!

You beat me to it.

-------------------------------
http://nettareegioia.wordpress.com
...e in auree coppe versi, copiosamente, nettare e gioia [Sappho]

Posts: 212 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Dec 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post