Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pizza Stones
 Login/Join 
posted
I have used an Emile Henry stone with nothing but satisfaction since acquisition. For more than merely pizzas... Anyone else out there?

Stones, hearths, brick ovens and the likes; what notable culinary moments using these have you had?

Posts: 1644 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Home Depot or your local building supply place. Get a big granite tile. Or get a big earthenware tile. Why buy a name brand "pizza stone"? Works fine for me.

For the outside grill, get a couple big patio pavers and a few bricks. Turn your Weber into a pizza oven. Again, no need for the name brand, just get the generic alternative.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2567 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a stone that was gifted to me years ago. It's very good for creating a good, thin crisp, blistery crust in an oven that doesn't quite get to "pizzeria" hot. fwiw, you can get a good stone for under $20, so it's not like you're being irresponsible or something......

PH

Posts: 14946 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We received the Pampered Chef version as a wedding present and is used 4-5 week for pretty much anything with bread/breading that might normally go on a baking pan. The crust just comes out crisper. I recall being very impressed when we first received it, now it's simply "the way".

What I'm really excited about is my new charcoal chimney starter for the grill I got for father's day. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm itching to throw some lump charcoal in it soon.

Posts: 3106 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of stones for the grill that get used probably once a week.

I agree with Greg though about the cheaper versions. I think it was Alton Brown that suggests an unglazed quarry stone from the hardware store for about $1 rather than an expensive stone. If the ones that we currently have ever need to be replaced, that's what I would do.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what other uses have you guys/gals used the stone for and any issues?

I just purchased a Emile Henry and within the info that came with the stone they have recipe's for fish...I was worried about absorption of flavors etc.

Any good cleaning tips?

And Dokta P uses his solely on the BBQ...can it be put on top of a gas stove? What temps, if put in the oven, do you use?

I prefer 'thin' crust just as an FYI.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2723 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a Weber pizza stone as well as a Himalayan pink salt stone, but haven't used either yet. Smack

Posts: 5365 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
So what other uses have you guys/gals used the stone for and any issues?

I just purchased a Emile Henry and within the info that came with the stone they have recipe's for fish...I was worried about absorption of flavors etc.

Any good cleaning tips?

And Dokta P uses his solely on the BBQ...can it be put on top of a gas stove? What temps, if put in the oven, do you use?

I prefer 'thin' crust just as an FYI.

As for cleaning, I generally use a bench scraper and scrape mine clean. Never use soap on the stone. If you must, you could probably wipe the stone with water, but not soapy water.

I also use mine exclusively on the grill, but I suppose you could use it on the stove top if you really wanted to.

I've used mine on the grill at temps in excess of 800 degrees, but I generally cook my pizzas more in the 500-550 degree range.

It takes time for the stones to come up to temperature - I generally put it on the grill and pre-heat for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking. And I always let it cool completely before moving it - you'll hear many stories of breakage from people who take a hot stone and move it from hot to cool.

Enjoy.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
We received the Pampered Chef version as a wedding present and is used 4-5 week for pretty much anything with bread/breading that might normally go on a baking pan. The crust just comes out crisper. I recall being very impressed when we first received it, now it's simply "the way".

+1

Almost the same story!

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1274 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pizza stone that we had broke. I don't remember the name but it was sourced from Williams Sonoma. We now use a perforated metal pizza pan for use in the oven and on the bbq grill.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3536 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Big Green Egg Plate Setter/Pizza Stone combination, which works incredibly well, but probably is far more expensive than it needs to be.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2370 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two. One in my gas oven and one on my Weber S330.
The Williams Sonoma in the oven is great. I preheat at 520F until the Pre sign dissapears. About 20 minutes. 8 minutes and the pies are perfect.

On the Weber I use a PizzaCraft 15x15 Square stone.
I move it to the right side, preheat on high for about 10 minutes, place my apple wood inside aluminium and side on the left burners and in 5 more minutes I put the pie on. 7 minutes and the pies are PERFECT.
don't just take my word, check it out for yourself:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/...+long+pizza#p1081739

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pizza steel is another thing. I have not tried one.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/a...-steel-delivers.html

Posts: 73 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same one, although I have yet to use it. It was gifted to me a few months back, haven't had time yet. Thanks for the info.
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:
I have used an Emile Henry stone with nothing but satisfaction since acquisition. For more than merely pizzas... Anyone else out there?

Stones, hearths, brick ovens and the likes; what notable culinary moments using these have you had?

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post