WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Favorite wines to drink with smoked meats?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite wines to drink with smoked meats?
 Login/Join 
posted
My dad is smoking a brisket, a chicken, and a salmon for dinner tomorrow evening.

Which wines do you like to pair with those kinds of smoked meats?

I'm thinking Zin, maybe some Grenache? Cotes du Rhone?

Posts: 4940 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
My dad is smoking a brisket, a chicken, and a salmon for dinner tomorrow evening.

Grenache and/or Syrah for the brisket and chicken, rosé for the salmon. 2 Cents

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6094 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your choices should work great. Sounds like a tasty dinner.

Posts: 6469 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry Rose from the southern Rhone.

Posts: 5432 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked meats ( no sauce) are the only time I really drink Malbec, but find Malbec works very well.

I have never tried a rose with smoked salmon, but sounds like a solid match to me.

Posts: 30085 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What time should I show up?

Big Grin

Posts: 6450 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of rose with Salmon, but it definitely sounds like a great match.

The Malbec sounds really interesting, too.

Looking forward to it!

Rothko, any time after 730... it goes without saying, anyone up to making the drive, is more than welcome!

Posts: 4940 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

First, throw the salmon in the trash. Wink Then a nice Cote Rotie with some age would work for me.

PH

Posts: 15065 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

First, throw the salmon in the trash. Wink Then a nice Cote Rotie with some age would work for me.

PH

LOL Winner

I would opt for an open-knit Grenache-heavy Southern Rhone (CdP). Something like a Marcoux.

I'm not a big salmon fan (clearly) but smoked fish is one of the few times I find balanced CA Chardonnay with some oak the way to go. BUT, I'm talking well-made here: Aubert, Kistler, Peter Michael, Landmark's better offerings, Brewer-Clifton, better Hartford bottlings, Walter Hansel, some Martinellis (though that takes 'balance' to a new meaning)... you get the idea.

Rosé with the fish would also work. Like a Tavel.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7575 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the smoked chicken and salmon, how about an Alsatian, maybe a Gewurtztraminer? While this is not true charcuterie, the Alsatians pair it with their wines. Proably something spicy with the brisket, maybe a Grenache.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the above sound reasonable. I had a good pairing a while back drinking Ridge Lytton Springs with a smoked seafood sampler plate (including smoked herring, salmon, abalone, mussels, etc.). I know it doesn't seem right, but the young and (relatively) restrained Zin blend went very nicely with the firm smokey flavors of the seafood.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3086 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
With the smoked chicken and salmon, how about an Alsatian, maybe a Gewurtztraminer? While this is not true charcuterie, the Alsatians pair it with their wines. Proably something spicy with the brisket, maybe a Grenache.

Agree with the above. Have enjoyed Cabernet Franc or Cabernet Sauvignon based Rosé's paired with smoked salmon and experienced good results.

Posts: 2205 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ridge did a food and wine pairing last month and the '10 Geyserville with smoked meat is otherworldly. (By itself, the Geezer is too primary to really enjoy, imo.)

Posts: 1774 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Zin or Shiraz

Posts: 656 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely pinot noir with the salmon and a syrah (northern rhone) with the brisket and other meats.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious what kind of wood is being used, as well as what kind of rub(s) would the brisket, chicken & salmon be getting? To me, an apple or cherry wood smoke imparts a different taste than a mesquite. The rub too could definitely impact the proper wine pairing.

Posts: 839 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post