WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    February 2013 - Whats for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2013 - Whats for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Fired up the BBQ tonight with snow to my knees.

Rack of lamb and flattened brick chicken. It's only -12C.

Such a gorgeous night that I could hear my neighbours in their hot tub.

Posts: 1695 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A gorgeous night indeed. From 360 Restaurant at the top of the CN Tower (home of the self-proclaimed "World's Highest Wine Cellar"), you could see a very long way through the clear winter air. Was taken there last night for a b-day dinner, and the food is surprisingly good for a tourist trap.

Posts: 2846 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used the raclette grill last night. Ingredients included green onion, red bell pepper, halved Brussels sprouts, capicola, and chipotle chicken sausage. Cheeses were Jarlsberg and Gruyere.

Posts: 5494 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five meat stuffed pizza.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ribeye, roasted root veggies with bacon, arugula salad, apples and cheddar.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7638 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday at home
Blue crab cakes over mixed greens with Dijon vinaigrette
Then I pan seared some Chilean sea bass that I topped with shiitake mushrooms previously cooked in withe wine. It came out pretty darn good I didn't screw up the sea bass as I have done once before

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cod poached in ginger dashi with shiitakes
rice
mashed celeriac with sesame.

Posts: 1585 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night out
A Cesar and a ribeye

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight will be red cabbage and bean soup, green beans and a salad

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

And lots of room refreshener Wink

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5769 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burrata with some heirloom tomatoes and watercress.

Roast Guinea Hen breast wrapped in pancetta with brussel sprouts and roasted parsnips.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:

Roast Guinea Hen breast wrapped in pancetta with brussel sprouts and roasted parsnips.

gorgeous. just found two grouse in the freezer and this sounds like a plan. no idea where to find decent tomatoes though...

Posts: 1585 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roasted Muscovy duck legs with a 2009 Neely PN

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36894 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

And lots of room refreshener Wink

I only used about half of the cabbage the recipe called for, so I think the paint on my walls is safe.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:

gorgeous. just found two grouse in the freezer and this sounds like a plan. no idea where to find decent tomatoes though...

The basement of St. Lawrence market had some nice ones. Nice purple carrots too (going to be roasted tomorrow)

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Last night out
A Cesar and a ribeye

where??

I have a hard time finding a place that makes a steak as good as one made at home. Buy good beef (Whole Foods in the Gables sells 45-day dry-aged ones), salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, evoo, and a really hot cast-iron skillet can't be beat.

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orange and honey glazed chicken thighs tonight. This is a keeper.

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, pan seared pepper skirt pan finished, cream based, sauteed zucchini, pesto pasta

Posts: 1157 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cajun blackened ribeye topped with crumbled blue cheese, with potatoes au gratin.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1131 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner at Luihn in Kristiansand, Norway.

Starter: Cod Tongue paired with a dry German Riesling
Main Course: Monk Fish in a sour cream reduction sauce paired with a 2005 Bourgogne Rouge

In a word: Stunning. I don't know how I managed to miss this place during the years that I have been traveling to Kristiansand.

I'll be back!

Posts: 1574 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Penne pasta with meat sauce - the meat being sausage.

Posts: 5494 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Wine-braised Pork Chops.

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cavitelli, veal parm and some carpaccio
with a 03 nando amarone

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foie gras
Duck tamales
Duck two ways
Truffle Mac n cheese
Tres leches

Posts: 2558 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
Foie gras
Duck tamales
Duck two ways
Truffle Mac n cheese
Tres leches

2 hours on a treadmill for breakfast today? Razz