WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Enameled Cast Iron pot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enameled Cast Iron pot
 Login/Join 
posted
need a recommendation on a decent enameled cast iron pot.

i would love a le creuset dutch oven but my wallet says no.

is there a comparable that would work? is there anything i should be aware of with cheaper imitations?

thanks.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:

is there a comparable that would work? is there anything i should be aware of with cheaper imitations?

thanks.

I acutally found my le creuset at Marshalls

it was a 7 qt pot for a very reasonable 120$.

I'd say it this way, cast iron is just that, a solid block of iron. Iron costs alot nowadays so if you find something cheaper it'll have less iron in it.

the le creuset has very good heft that gives me comfort in knowing it's got a good amount of iron in it compared to some of the cheaper say, martha stewart brands.

and what are the benefits of cast iron, it's to retain steady heat right? so you'd want more iron when you're using it.

I personally would suck it up/ save and buy a cast iron pot that is heavy/sturdy and from a reputable company. The suckers last FOREVER and you can certainly pass it down.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11829 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

thanks.

Tramontina 6 or 6 1/2 QT Dutch Oven. $60 at Walmart and tied the Le Creuset in a recent Cook's Illustrated comparison. I've had mine for 5+ years and love it.

PH

Posts: 15006 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, lodge cast iron is a reputable brand and typically cheaper than the imports.

you might wanna give them a shot

but i still ike to do the weight test, hold two of them side by side and pick the heavier one

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11829 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

thanks.

Tramontina 6 or 6 1/2 QT Dutch Oven. $60 at Walmart and tied the Le Creuset in a recent Cook's Illustrated comparison. I've had mine for 5+ years and love it.

PH

i've read reviews (because that did look very cheap) that these didn't work as well with electric smooth topped ranges.

so just fyi

but i cook with gas, so perhaps I might give it a shot as i need a smaller one for cooking some tripe! thanks for the tip!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
i have a gas stove as well. i may have to start going to Marshall's regularly to see if they have stuff in stock.

i saw one by Lagostina on sale for $60.

i want a decent once because this is one of those things that i don't plan to replace every few years (like a teflon pan). i cook a lot at home and i find that having good tools makes a difference.

thanks for the advice on checking the weight of each pot. i will definitely take that into consideration.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
oh, lodge cast iron is a reputable brand and typically cheaper than the imports.

you might wanna give them a shot

This was gonna be my suggestion, though not enameled, it's $65 including shipping from Amazon, and absolutely rocks. This is high quality cast iron.

Posts: 4859 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of Lodge cast iron frying pans -- 12" and 8" -- for under $35 each from Sur La Table. I love them. It's great for getting them really hot and just throwing meat or scallops on them to get a nice sear. I use it at least once a week.

Posts: 5092 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, IKEA cast iron can very very very good. If it's made in Scandinavia then the iron is of very high quality. Made somewhere else, I wouldn't get it but some of their lines are still made from Swedish iron.

Ridge is good but not enamel coated. good for somethings, less so for others.

My recommendation is to save up for an extra bit of time and get the Le Creuset though. It will last you for 3-4 decades.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2278 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco had 8qt for about $90. If it doesn't hold up you can return it in a few years.

Posts: 73 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco carries Lodge dutch ovens. Never noticed this before but probably something you can only order online?

$120 for a 6Qt.

Costco also carries Le Cuistot.

looked up the one at IKEA as well but it doesn't say where it's made.

i think i'll spend the weekend checking out marshalls for le creuset and costco for Lodge. it's better to narrow it down to two or three.

thanks for the advice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Costco carries Lodge dutch ovens. Never noticed this before but probably something you can only order online?

$120 for a 6Qt.

Yikes, Amazon has the 7qt for $55 and shipping is free

Posts: 4859 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh shit, this is going in the Buy post.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I have a Lodge dutch oven (non-enameled) as well as frying pans (2 that I use regularly and a tiny one I don't use much). Love them.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2711 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:

the one from the costco site is enameled. the one from the amazon link is not.

you pay quite a bit more with enameled.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

$120 for a 6Qt.

Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 3126 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
let me know how it is for you, snipes.

btw, check out this bad review of the lodge enameled cast iron pot. Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:

I haven't read the article yet, but have looked into the enameled versions of Lodge pots in the past. The company is up front in stating the enameled versions are not made in the US like their traditional cookware. Negative reviews pop up on them from time to time. If I ever decided to pony up for an enameled version I'll suck it up and buy LeCreuset from an authorized retailer. I was at a LeCreuset outlet store recently and asked them point blank if the stuff they were selling was made specifically for their stores and the sales associate quietly confirmed that it was. So I don't want a cost conscious version, I'd want the real deal. If someone can comment on if the versions from Marshall's etc. fall into the true factory seconds rather than the outlet versions then I'd consider them as well. I just don't know the answer to that and became very gun shy after the conversation at the outlet.

Good luck on your quest.

Posts: 3126 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just curious, what's the benefit of the enamel? The normal cast iron has fantastic reviews. Does enamel do something for the pot i'm not aware of??

Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just curious, what's the benefit of the enamel? The normal cast iron has fantastic reviews. Does enamel do something for the pot i'm not aware of??

Thanks

saves you from having to season it.

I use my enamel one for cassoulet.

them beans are hard to get off after a long cook otherwise.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
It has to do with adding acid to cast iron pans. An enameled Le Crueset is fine for making things like tomato sauce, whereas a standard cast iron pan is not. The acid from tomatoes, vinegar, wine, etc, is not good in a standard cast iron pan as it will cause a reaction and rust.

I use standard Lodge cast iron pans for searing meat and roasting, whereas I will use Le Creuset for anything I need to braise or develop a sauce in.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

i wonder if the poster read the instructions on how to cook with it.

Even the Le crousets (enameled) tell you that for dutch ovens you should not exceed 250-300 degrees and that it's meant for long slow extended cooking.

I do have a cast iron frying pan (non enameled) that says you can use it at temps up to 550.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I've used Le Creuset dutch ovens to 400F and their grill pans to 425F, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I wouldn't go much higher for anything with a lid, however as the plastic knob on the lid will get toward melting temperatures.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Le Creuset makes a stainless steel knob so that the lids can go into the oven at higher temps. They're about $10, and they look better than the knobs that come with lids.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if you sear meat in a non-enameled cast iron pan, you would deglaze with chicken stock as opposed to red wine.

Limitations like that steer me away regular cast iron.

I'm looking for a Dutch oven to make stews, soups, risotto, tomato sauce, chili, etc .. I love making risotto Smile