WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Enameled Cast Iron pot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enameled Cast Iron pot
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Loin of Beef:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
http://www.staubusa.com/#

Im telling you, look at these. You cant go wrong with LC so I wont argue there, but the lids on the Staub are heavier and I personally like the look better. But, from a cooking stand point...I doubt there is much difference. Price is probably similar as well...

I dont own anything made by Lodge.

Okay, I looked at them. They look EXACTLY like what Cost Plus World Market sells, without the Staub name on the lid, of course.

Well, if they look exactly the same in a photograph, then I'm convinced that they must be the identical item!

We are all very lucky that we live in a world where there are no countries that won't recognize international copyrights on designs, and therefore will never produce cheap knock-offs of more expensive items. Can you imagine how much money we could save every day if only there were even one or two countries that allowed such things to happen?

I am just very impressed that there are consumer oriented, considerate companies such as Cost Plus which are willing to sell identical high-quality cookware for about 20% of the price of that rip-off stuff that's identical but merely more expensive. It is my belief that everyone in the manufacturing/distribution/retail chain probably accepts a small loss so that the final retailer doesn't have to absorb all of it themselves when they sell great products so cheaply. I'm pretty sure that all the metals, castings, and glazes are what make all products identical, so there is no reason to spend more money.

It dawned on me just now that we can apply the same logic to wine! If the bottles look identical in a photograph, and the colour of the liquid inside the bottles looks identical, then I am going to buy the cheapest wine I can find. Just because some bottles have a different label doesn't make them any better. It's all just bullshit marketing, and I'm not going to fall for it any more.

Harumph!

Posts: 8391 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seaquam is being facetious.

Posts: 8688 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is hilarious Seaquam :LOL

I truly believe you get what you pay for

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2740 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL!

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that being said,
anyone wanan by any petrus labels to apply onto generic bottle?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12026 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seaquam .. sage advice. glad you chimed in with your knowledge.

i think it's all the same too .. i bought these Globo knives and they were really good. the manufacturer even replaced my filet knife when the handle broke. who really uses a filet knife anyway ..

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After resisiting le Creuset for years, I finally took posession of my first 5.5 qt stock pot a few years back. I have not looked back since. I now own 9 different versions. Some with minute differences form another like the Risotto pot I just picked up from the newly designed line: Signature. (link below).
Le Creuset enamelcookware are beautiful, easy to clean and just a joy to cook with. I would NEVER buy Chinese made. A friend of mine went cheap on a Martha Stewart and had chipping early on. Once they whole lineup was recalled he went back to Le Creuset. A true investment in your cooking. Marshalls and Homegoods has deals from time to time. they are usually seconds and have a little 'S' on the cover by the screw, no box.

http://www.chefsresource.com/l...nature-cookware.html

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks. i've always wondered whether the ones you see at Marshalls or Homegoods was a lower quality line .. and if so, will i even notice a difference in the quality?

(ie. what does "seconds" mean? refurbished? failed a 450F test but still good for the average user?)

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:
thanks. i've always wondered whether the ones you see at Marshalls or Homegoods was a lower quality line .. and if so, will i even notice a difference in the quality?

(ie. what does "seconds" mean? refurbished? failed a 450F test but still good for the average user?)

Typically factory seconds mean first quality items that did not pass QC.

Posts: 3141 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the mouth of the saleslady at Le Creuset outlet store in NJ: They are the same quality and will function at 100% of a 'first' but there may be a blemish, overspray or something purely cosmetic. BTW, the warranty is always in effect, even on seconds. You will never notice the difference. if you are particular and like all your stuff to look new forever, maybe you should go for first, but if you see my most used grill pan you will wonder if some overspray right about now would be a good thing. To me it's a tool to be used so I pay no attention to a little 's' on the lid.

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post