Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

slow and low
 Login/Join 
posted
What is the lowest temperature you have cooked meat at. Aussie chef Neil Perry recommends cooking some meats as low as 167F! Eek

Any cuts, times and temps that worked out remmarkably well for you would be appreciated if mentioned here.

Posts: 8733 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked back ribs 225F x 3 1/2-4hr
Smoked SLC ribs 225F x 5 hours
Smoked trout-150F x30' then 225F x 30'

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
180F that can be attested to, a full brisket and a picnic shoulder from a 175 pound hog. A great way to spend a Sunday during football season and with an outdoor TV broadcast. Slow and low has it!

Posts: 1689 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heston blumenthal is a proponent of cooking meats sous vide at their finishing temp for however long it takes to get there.

personally - 200F-215F for pork shoulder for 14-15 hours (overnight sat, ready for kickoff Sunday @1) turns out magic every time.

Posts: 1585 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salmon to 98F

Posts: 1676 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Salmon to 98F

Yes! Smile

Posts: 1689 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Salmon to 98F

Yes! Smile

Inspired by the Tetsuya Tasmanian trout recipe. Much simpler with my sous vide machine though.

Posts: 1676 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done dry aged prime rib roast on many occasions at 200 degrees.

Posts: 889 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last weekend a 5 lb. pork butt was cooked first at 350F for 20 minutes then followed by 230F for 5 hours and 210F for a final 3 hours. After resting for 15 minutes the meat pan was drained and the remaining meat pulled thoroughly, rejoined with the drained juices and finally all top broiled until crispy. Cochinita pibil flavorings helped make this serving after serving of pure taco heaven for the day.

And a homemade salsa verde using my own husk cherries instead of tomatillos, apples and mildly hot straggler scotch bonnet peppers. Slow and low... Cool

posted Hide Post
Did a whole pig last Saturday, around 250° or so.
I still do not understand why a 9 lb. pork butt can take 15 hours, but a 77 lb. pig cooks thoroughly in 8? It's like warp speed thermodynamics.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6820 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that either but how did you do the whole pig? Did you have some kind of rotisserie? I want to do one but I'm not sure I have the setup.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2645 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first heard about these things from Stefania Wine....

CLICK.....

Ran across one at a friends pig roast a few months later. If I had more room......

PH

Posts: 15222 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, we went simpler with a setup much like this.
Sets up and comes down in about 20-30 minutes. Cooked indirect with split wood consisting of mostly maple, with some cherry and apple thrown in. A friend had the materials, so only expense was the pig and the wood.
Here's the short story and a few pics.

Posts: 6820 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

PH

Posts: 15222 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 1694 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are the beans?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mmmm i think it's cassoulet time!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm! And I'm well-stocked with Rhones!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Making me hungry!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3133 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cook a tri-tip for two days in sous vide at 135. Actually, I just started one today for a party Sunday. Anyway, when I'm ready I take it out of the bath and show it to a super hot grill to add color and bit of texture.

When I smoke boston butts, I do 5-6 hours in the smoker at 240-ish. Then move to a Dutch oven and finish for another 12 hours in an indoor oven at 175.

Posts: 289 | Location: just south of Napa Valley | Registered: Jul 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Did a whole pig last Saturday, around 250° or so.
I still do not understand why a 9 lb. pork butt can take 15 hours, but a 77 lb. pig cooks thoroughly in 8? It's like warp speed thermodynamics.

surface area.

Posts: 289 | Location: just south of Napa Valley | Registered: Jul 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Where are the beans?

Threw the beans on after we took the pig off, and then I went home to shower. So I didn't get a pic of those. They were very good, though.

I don't recall what I opened, but my friend opened a double mag of '98 Matthews Yakima Valley. It was just peaking. Smile

posted Hide Post
Spo,

Besides vino, my other hobby is BBQ. I grew up all over the South, so I was fortunate enough to experience several regional styles (East Carolina Vinegar, Texas Pit, etc.). Each has their own flare, & preferred cooking temps. They all have one thing in common...LOW & SLOW!

Pork shoulders are my favorite to smoke, and I aim for 220F for 12+ hours.

Brisket can go a little lower, between 200-220F. A good cut can smoke for up to 24 hours.

As for "lowest" cooking temps, cold-smoking salmon is done at less than 100F. Keep in mind, this is after a hefty brine a curing stage.

BTW, I'll have to bring some up to the next offline Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

Posts: 1585 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know that either but how did you do the whole pig? Did you have some kind of rotisserie? I want to do one but I'm not sure I have the setup.

Greg T,

No need for any fancy contraptions for smoking a whole pig. If you can source a whole suckling pig, they usually give them to you dressed, with the eyes taken out. They'll easily fit on a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain.

With any pork, I prefer a 220F smoke with "Chef's Choice" briquettes for an even burn. Natural lump is great for quick cooks, but tends to have flare-ups for the longer ones. I also like a 3 to 1 mix of Apple to Pecan wood, but this is all preference. Hickory works nice too, and is the traditional wood for East Carolina Vinegar BBQ.

I'm getting hungry...

Posts: 1585 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane, that sounds great man. Any offline dialogue among you guys lately?

Posts: 8733 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post