WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    best beef at home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best beef at home
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You asked for it, you got it....
steak carcar

Posts: 2392 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Starting with Flannery beef is step #1.

Was looking at the website. Couldn't find any info about shipping. Is everything shipped frozen? Overnight?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3464 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Starting with Flannery beef is step #1.

Was looking at the website. Couldn't find any info about shipping. Is everything shipped frozen? Overnight?

Frozen??? Eek Not this stuff!! The slowest he'll ship is 2nd day. And if you're making anything with sauce, I woudn't use Bryan's beef. It's very good stuff.

PH

Posts: 15031 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had beef from those high end butchers, but whenever I'm in Scottsdale I go to a high end grocery called AJ's. They sell a 2" thick Cowboy steak (which is a ribeye with about 4" of bone left protruding). Best thing ever to throw on a grill. And two of those could easily feed 4 people.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6771 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Never had beef from those high end butchers, but whenever I'm in Scottsdale I go to a high end grocery called AJ's. They sell a 2" thick Cowboy steak (which is a ribeye with about 4" of bone left protruding). Best thing ever to throw on a grill. And two of those could easily feed 4 people.

Being from Scottsdale I concur that AJ's is just about the best.

We did a steak tasting a while back locally with steaks from Flannery, AJ's, Costco, Niman Ranch, and a few other very high end online butchers that I can't recall. All New York cuts. Steaks were various grades from prime to Wagyu and some dry aged. All in all I think there were 10-12 different steaks.

All were cooked to medium rare and tasted blind. Rated on 5 different criteria. The top two steaks were both from Flannery, one prime one dry aged. The next highest scoring came from... Costco. Their prime cuts here in AZ are very hard to beat for the price.

My other favorite way to serve beef as several on this board can attest to that have had them at the annual Tdub Bday bash is Flannery's burger builder in the following blend.

25% Wagyu Chuck
25% Choice shortribs
25% Prime Brisket Fat Blend
25% Wagyu Shortribs

OMG good! I sear them on an old school stainless steel farberware griddle which is a key to cooking meat with that much fat content. Top them with carmalized onions and mushrooms cooked in wine on top of Hawaiian rolls.

Smile I'm getting hungry

Posts: 913 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whenever you're in Scottsdale next let me know we'll throw some steaks on the grill and have the gang over with some vino.

Posts: 913 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
quote:

Whenever you're in Scottsdale next let me know we'll throw some steaks on the grill and have the gang over with some vino.

Will do. I have a buddy in Phoenix that I see every couple years. We always bring down some good wine.
Last time there, we were staying at a Scottsdale suite hotel that had a couple grills near the pool for guests to use. Didn't take us long to hit AJ's. Also have had that prime NY from the Phoenix Costco. That was pretty good as well.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6771 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
thirsty man - I always read/enjoy your posts on beef! Big +1 on flat iron. It's been my "go to" cut for marinating and grilling for a while.

PH

Thanks and I have paid close attention to any "cooking" threads that you have chimed in on as well!

Flat iron is one of my favorites. It takes a marinade well, is tender when cooked medium or less and can be used as a steak, sandwhich filling, salad topper, fajita filling, etc.

Aphilla Report back on what you decide....

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Aphilla Report back on what you decide....

Thanks, will do. Though I sense a bit of a misconception about the aphilla household here. I'll come up with a great plan and then SWMBO will decide on what I will do.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3464 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
We did a steak tasting a while back locally with steaks from Flannery, AJ's, Costco, Niman Ranch, and a few other very high end online butchers that I can't recall. All New York cuts. Steaks were various grades from prime to Wagyu and some dry aged. All in all I think there were 10-12 different steaks.

All were cooked to medium rare and tasted blind. Rated on 5 different criteria. The top two steaks were both from Flannery, one prime one dry aged. The next highest scoring came from... Costco.

I am the opposite of surprised.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7542 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post