WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Go-To Cooking wine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go-To Cooking wine?
 Login/Join 
posted
Red and/or White . . .

Posts: 235 | Location: SFO Bay area | Registered: Aug 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something with a screw cap or synthetic cork and low tannins and low oak for red. Similar, no oak, bright acidity, for white. Spanish Garnacha tends to work well, also Barbera d'Asti. As do a variety of whites. Something drinkable at a wedding, nothing more.

I rarely care what I'm cooking with beyond that unless I'm cooking a "high end" meal for guests. In that case it would be a $25-$30ish bright fruit Pinot, a Toro, or a higher end Barbera depending upon the dish for red. And a dry Austrian or Loire white -- grape and region depending upon dish.

The only singular "go-to" cooking wine I have is Lustau 'Los Arcos' Amontillado Sherry. But I'll substitute a different Amontillado if I cannot find it -- I don't always keep it stocked.

I'm as discerning as they come, but when Julia Child said, "never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink," the "you" was not referring to the people on this board. Wink

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7581 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cote du Rhone rouge and blanc.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:

+1.... I always have several 375s on hand for cooking.

PH

Posts: 15082 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Le Vielle Ferme red and white

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3472 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
La Vieille Ferme red and white

Fixed

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3472 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

PH

+2, but unlike PH, the 750 seems to be empty by the time I've finished cooking.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36786 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
quote:

PH

It's hard to keep opened bottles of wine from being emptied at my house too. Razz

Posts: 1625 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any white I have on hand.

Posts: 8691 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

+3. "I always cook with wine. Sometimes it even goes in the food."

Posts: 1530 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

I think the wine evaporates once opened. Long difficault recipes take evn more wine than planned. Cookbooks do not allow for this 'evapoartion' when handled by teh cook. Big Grin

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6327 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 d'arenberg Old Footbolt Shiraz. Love to cook with this wine and have a glass as well.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post