WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    The physical act of eating cheese with wine.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The physical act of eating cheese with wine.
 Login/Join 
posted
Do I eat the cheese first, and then sip the wine? Do I wait till the cheese is entire gone from my mouth? Or are they supposed to mixing your mouth?

Sorry for such a retarded question. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by serial_dater:
Do I eat the cheese first, and then sip the wine? Do I wait till the cheese is entire gone from my mouth? Or are they supposed to mixing your mouth?

Sorry for such a retarded question. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Play it by ear. I usually do wine, cheese, then wine.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can be either. also can be as a starter or as an end to the meal. see the sept 30 issue of ws

"Death is just so full - and man so small.
I am scared of what's behind and what's before."

Posts: 916 | Location: Philadelphia, PA and Atlantic City, NJ | Registered: Nov 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In order to help you I need more information.

Do you breath in first or exhale first?

Do you place the toilet roll outwards or inwards on the spindle?

Do you squeeze the toothpaste from the middle or the end?

Let me know and I'll tell you how to eat the cheese.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13456 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please help me too, WIML.

Inhale.
Outwards on the spindle.
Squeeze from the end. Although DnVsMom's squeezing from the middle is a source of continual consternation....

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9635 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I would have said eat the cheese first and then sip the wine second until the third response. That's a pretty serious issue. I'm thinking you should try experimenting with eating the cheese and quickly taking a small sip of the wine and then do a second sip of the wine after you've swallowed the cheese. Let me know how it pans out.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13456 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, it's wine-cheese-wine

No....wait...

Posts: 15417 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you are all so wrong. it's wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine- Popcorn

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
you are all so wrong. it's wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-cheese-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-wine-cheese-wine- Popcorn

Although when dining with TBird, he goes wine-cheese-wine-floor.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I usually find myself in those situations when a few pieces get stuck in my teeth

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11835 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:

Although when dining with TBird, he goes wine-cheese-wine-floor.

HILARIOUS!

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6058 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh you are ALL wrong. Wine does NOT go with cheese as the cheese always overpowers the wine while tasting. Port or other dessert wines pair better. If you must have the sequence of pairing, it is:

cheese-cheese-cracker-wine-cheese-cheese-wine-cheese-cracker-olive-wine-converse-shakehands-wine-cheese-wine wine-wine-wine-chips-chocolate-toilet-flush-brushteeth-backtoparty-more wine.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
toilet-flush-brushteeth-backtoparty

Not washing your hands?

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a slight alteration of Berno's original response.

Taste the wine by itself. Taste the cheese by itself. Then take a bite of cheese followed by a sip of wine. All three options will potentially be different. Continue doing the option that tastes the best to you (will be different for each cheese/wine pairing).

Posts: 1544 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has the markings of a "Classic" thread all over it...

Big Grin

Posts: 6437 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WS missed the boat on part of this article. They did not mention what kind of bread, cheese etc goes best for many of the cheeses.

Anybody that says Ritz crackers, had too much wine already. Razz

Also a matter of balance. Does the wine run out before the cheese is gone? Then what do we do? Open more cheese or open more wine?

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Wino:

Also a matter of balance. Does the wine run out before the cheese is gone? Then what do we do? Open more cheese or open more wine?

Open more wine. Wine pairs better with wine than cheese does. Big Grin

Posts: 1859 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Classic problem. Historically, an issue with Oreo cookies and milk.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cheese is good. it cheesy

Razz

Upchuck with 2-Buck-Chuck.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Cdp with gruyere or gouda. Popcorn

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cdp ?

Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I take my clothes off.

Then I unwrap a giant wedge of Manchego.

Next I violently pull the cork out of a nice bottle of Bordeaux with my teeth (my hands are already full).

Then I get in bed with funky NPR music on the radio.

Its important to drink from the bottle, and bite directly into the wedge of cheese. Form is important here. Spilling is encouraged. Wine and cheese crumbles may not be removed from chest hair except under two circumstances:

1. A beautiful woman nibbles them off you.

-or-

2. It somehow turns into the next day, and you wake up with said cheese and wine still in place.

Thats just how I go about it though.

Posts: 318 | Location: Marin County | Registered: May 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by serial_dater:
Cdp ?

Chateauneuf du Pape, delicious, ageworthy earthy red wine style from South of France. Translates as: New Castle of the Pope.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:

Classic problem. Historically, an issue with Oreo cookies and milk.

And a problem with other cookies as well. I usually suffer from this dilemma with chocolate chip cookies. Specifically, you need to have a large-rimmed glass for the milk. Too big a glass, however, and the milk might remain too cold (you want a semi-cold glass of milk to offset the room temperature of the cookie). Too small a glass, and the milk disappears too quickly, and then you are back at the fridge, pouring another glass of milk. Since you're at the fridge, you might see something else in there to eat instead of the cookies, and then you've ruined the entire cookie/milk experience. But I digress. You also have to be careful when you dunk the cookie into the milk. Timing is critical: if you don't dunk it in long enough, the cookie will not soften and won't absorb sufficient milk to meet the proper milk-to-cookie ratio which is critical for cookie/milk enjoyment. If you dunk the cookie for too long a time, it may soften and then crumble from your fingers, sinking to the bottom of the milk glass like the Titanic (well, maybe not like the Titanic, because that sank from an iceberg, and you shouldn't have any ice in the glass of milk... again, I digress). Then you are left with a mushy chocolatey cookie goo in the bottom of the glass, for which you'll probably have to get a spoon to scoop out of the glass. Once you have the spoon, you might as well go back to the fridge and get a cup of pudding to eat as well, although I don't think pudding goes with the cold milk as well as the cookie, since pudding is comprised primarily of milk (and some sugar), so you are really having milk with your glass of milk, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Posts: 6437 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post