WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    January 2013 - What's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013 - What's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Jorgerunfrombulls, can you liken grapeseed oil to anything or is it unique? I don't think I have ever tried it.

I can't really liken it to anything. It has a unique flavor, pretty "stemmy", with some herbal aromatics. I don't care for it very much on its own, but with some lime juice, i think it's great.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Making red beans and rice tonight.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2712 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Jorgerunfrombulls, can you liken grapeseed oil to anything or is it unique? I don't think I have ever tried it.

I can't really liken it to anything. It has a unique flavor, pretty "stemmy", with some herbal aromatics. I don't care for it very much on its own, but with some lime juice, i think it's great.

FWIW - i keep it on hand as it has the highest smoke point of most commonly available oils.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna make Buccatini with the oxtail ragu that I cooked the other day.

Posts: 5092 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled Cheese with tomato basil soup.

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turkey chili.

Posts: 5398 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kung Pao Shrimp. And Goose Island Pere Jacques. Good night.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

Did you get a part-time gig pimping for GI? Smile

Posts: 5398 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled red snapper and steamed veggies at SFO

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

Did you get a part-time gig pimping for GI? Smile

Big Grin

Posts: 3562 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:

FWIW - i keep it on hand as it has the highest smoke point of most commonly available oils.

Thanks guys.

Tonight, arugula, pepper, mushroom and carrot salad with Trader Joe's Chicken Basil sausage.

Got hungry later and ate some sardines.

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grilled marinated skirt steak and a salad

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did brunch for dinner. Sliced baguette french toast with vanilla and orange extract batter, topped with warm applesauce and sausage links. Washed down with a simple but tasty Mumm Napa Brut Rose.

posted Hide Post
Fried chicken and waffle

Posts: 1036 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arancini
carpaccio di polpo
Fettuccine with cingale e tartufo

Posts: 1477 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went out to our favorite local sushi restaurant last night to celebrate a new job I accepted this week. Amazingly fresh uni, snapper flown in from Japan, toro, kampachi and on and on. I can't think of a better dining experience for the money then really fresh sushi.

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rabbit ragu with homemade fettuccine
Provimi Ossobuco with soft polenta
Wine tbd

Posts: 1594 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I can't think of a better dining experience for the money then really fresh sushi.

+1

There are direct flights to SLC weekly and, just recently, I enjoyed some of the same fish you tasted last night. Although, I'm generally not a fan of Uni. Do you enjoy it solo or with the raw egg?

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gumbo

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2712 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went out to our favorite local sushi restaurant last night to celebrate a new job I accepted this week.

Congratulations on the new job, GlennK!

Posts: 15425 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mac-n-cheese

(on the stove now, bubbling away next to the chile being prepared for another day)

Posts: 15425 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing steak tartare and duck confit. That's usually what I get there. I'm bringing a 1990 Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot, already decanted.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orange and chipotle glazed turkey tenderloins. Paired perfectly with a Goose Island Matilda Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Went out to our favorite local sushi restaurant last night to celebrate a new job I accepted this week. Amazingly fresh uni, snapper flown in from Japan, toro, kampachi and on and on. I can't think of a better dining experience for the money then really fresh sushi.

Congrats on the job. Where did you dine?

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steak churrasco, tequila bread pudding

Posts: 1218 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post