WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    January 2013 - What's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
January 2013 - What's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Started with prime ny strips for lunch with brussel sprouts and sauteed shallots.

For dinner, I tried making spaghetti carbonara. Although it tasted fine, I didn't temper the egg-parmesan mixture, and when I poured it into the hot pan (burner was already off) and pasta, the egg seized a bit.


heavy cream is easier to work with in that instance I find.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12434 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It’s been unusually cold here this past week so we made some comforting cold weather dishes this weekend. Saturday night was braised beef and winter veggies with mashed yukon golds and last night was a big bowl of spaghetti tossed in a homemade red sauce with sweet italian sausage.
 
Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Started with prime ny strips for lunch with brussel sprouts and sauteed shallots.

For dinner, I tried making spaghetti carbonara. Although it tasted fine, I didn't temper the egg-parmesan mixture, and when I poured it into the hot pan (burner was already off) and pasta, the egg seized a bit.


heavy cream is easier to work with in that instance I find.
DD, Pour a little bit of the pasta water in the egg mixture next time to temper it. I actually don’t mind if the eggs get a little scrambled, but I know that is not how it is supposed to be done. I personally don’t like heavy cream in carbonara.
 
Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I made some excellent turkey chili (yes, I know, an oxymoron to many of you) on Saturday for an NFL playoffs party at our place. Here is the recipe, if interested. I added a couple of jalapenos to increase the heat.

I made baked ziti last night; it was the second time I used a recipe sent to me from PH, and it was outstanding.

I can't wait to taste the leftovers tonight.


"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"
 
Posts: 6159 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Fish Tacos.
 
Posts: 9502 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I made some excellent turkey chili (yes, I know, an oxymoron to many of you)


We probably do chili with turkey twice as often as ground beef. By the time the sauce/seasonings are incorporated, there isn't much flavor diffference.
 
Posts: 5539 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I made some excellent turkey chili (yes, I know, an oxymoron to many of you)


We probably do chili with turkey twice as often as ground beef. By the time the sauce/seasonings are incorporated, there isn't much flavor diffference.


+2

I add quite a bit of Worcestershire sauce after I've browned the turkey, which always makes me think of beef; with all the other seasoning, it's like Bill said-- not very different.


___________________________

Cheers!
 
Posts: 8612 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Chicken breast stuffed with asparagus and cheddar


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 37062 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Pan seared chicken thighs marinated in soy ginger sauce
 
Posts: 2321 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Last night - broiled pompano with pine nuts, white wine and lemon. Asparagus with parmesan and an arugula, watermelon, feta and mint salad.
 
Posts: 6067 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Last night: Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts with Onion and Ale Sauce. This was excellent and a nice change of pace for chicken.
 
Posts: 3608 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Buckwheat noodles tossed in a soy/sesame dressing with ginger, chilies, garlic, chicken and bok choy. Tonight I’m off to the Mexican market by my house to get fixings for taco Tuesday.
 
Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Buckwheat noodles tossed in a soy/sesame dressing with ginger, chilies, garlic, chicken and bok choy. Tonight I’m off to the Mexican market by my house to get fixings for taco Tuesday.



Glenn, with the dinners you cook, you must walk and carry your bag when you play golf. I wish I could eat all those dishes you prepare. Getting old is a bitch.


-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!
 
Posts: 2788 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Buckwheat noodles tossed in a soy/sesame dressing with ginger, chilies, garlic, chicken and bok choy. Tonight I’m off to the Mexican market by my house to get fixings for taco Tuesday.


Glenn, with the dinners you cook, you must walk and carry your bag when you play golf. I wish I could eat all those dishes you prepare. Getting old is a bitch.
I getting old as well and all these dinners have caught up to me. I need to lose some lb’s.
 
Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
After I stop and get some fresh corn tortillas on the way home from work, carnitas tacos with tomatillo & avocado salsa tonight.


Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.
 
Posts: 2441 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Making a baby brussel sprouts salad for tonight.


“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff
 
Posts: 2826 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Grilled skirt steak, duck fat fried spuds, a green salad, baguette and a 1998 Leoville Barton.

PH
 
Posts: 15336 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Grilled skirt steak, duck fat fried spuds, a green salad, baguette and a 1998 Leoville Barton.

PH
yum!
 
Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Grilled skirt steak, duck fat fried spuds, a green salad, baguette and a 1998 Leoville Barton.

PH
yum!


+1 Sounds much better than my baby brussel sprouts salad.


“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff
 
Posts: 2826 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
spag bol


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12434 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Grilled skirt steak, duck fat fried spuds, a green salad, baguette and a 1998 Leoville Barton.

PH
yum!


+1 Sounds much better than my baby brussel sprouts salad.


Heh.... I think I'm not going too far out on a limb to say that it probably was. Wink Good news is that there is enough left over to make a nice sandwich for lunch today.

PH
 
Posts: 15336 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Last night, Miso-Glazed Sea Bass, jasmine rice, salad, sugar snap peas with sesame seeds, red pepper
 
Posts: 6067 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Last night, Grilled Lamb Chops with an herbal rub and olive oil, then finished with a Port and Fig reduction sauce. This was the first time I've actually grilled lamb at home, but it won't be the last.
 
Posts: 3608 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
We ended up doing pollo asado last night on the grill. Fresh corn tortillas from the Mexican market and homemade gauc and Mexican rice. Very tasty.
 
Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
We ended up doing pollo asado last night on the grill. Fresh corn tortillas from the Mexican market and homemade gauc and Mexican rice. Very tasty.

Cool I'm suddenly very hungry.


"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"
 
Posts: 6159 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    January 2013 - What's for dinner?

© Wine Spectator 2013