WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    January 2013 - What's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013 - What's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Lobster and fennel stew
Duck breast, pan fried figs and cep mushrooms.

Posts: 29644 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fried oysters
Beet salad
Tile fish with snap peas and carrot ginger purée
Shrimp and grits
Vietnamese meatballs with baguette
Braised goat dumplings
Korean wagyu beef fajitas with rice and kimchi
Vinegar pie
Deep fries Lemon me range with brown butter ice cream
Indian donuts

Excellent food at Underbelly in Houston

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xhoser,

Posts: 2517 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oven roasted split chicken breast with potatoes, and steamed green beans.

Posts: 5169 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:

Excellent food at Underbelly in Houston

A better than average restaurant in Houston for sure.

Glad you enjoyed.

Posts: 29644 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grilled steak tacos.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Lobster and fennel stew

Sounds like an interesting combo! I'm curious: what's the liquid? And which vintage of Montrachet did you have with it? Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8138 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Lobster and fennel stew

Sounds like an interesting combo! I'm curious: what's the liquid? And which vintage of Montrachet did you have with it? Smile

It was interesting. The stock was coconut milk and cream.

I had a glass of Moreau Chablis, ('10?) and a bottle of red Burgundy with our duck.

posted Hide Post
Making Kielbasa and Napa Cabbage this evening

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2582 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monday – Kobe beef burgers on the grill with grilled onions and cheddar cheese. Excellent.

Tuesday – Beer and brown sugar brined pork chops on the grill with a side of roasted brussels sprouts. Paired with the fantastic 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard

Posts: 6254 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Tuesday – Beer and brown sugar brined pork chops on the grill

This sounds excellent. I do a rosemary balsamic brine for pork chops, but I've never tried beer and brown sugar. Thanks for the idea.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Monday – Kobe beef burgers on the grill with grilled onions and cheddar cheese. Excellent.

Tuesday – Beer and brown sugar brined pork chops on the grill with a side of roasted brussels sprouts. Paired with the fantastic 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard

Glenn - Can you provide some detail on the Beer brine please? I have some thick cut pork chops sitting on my counter right now. Too late for this round, but I might give it a try next time.
Thanks

Posts: 3030 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shepherd's pie.

Posts: 5169 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eggplant parm (roasted eggplant in anchovy-tomato-oregano sauce with ricotta quenelle, basil and panko crumbs with parm)

spaghetti (parsley/parm/pepper/pugliese olive oil from a friend)

dolcetto.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night

Mussels in white wine sauce
Grilled veal chop with mushroom ragu and pappardelle

Posts: 2144 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:

Glenn - Can you provide some detail on the Beer brine please? I have some thick cut pork chops sitting on my counter right now. Too late for this round, but I might give it a try next time.
Thanks

Check your e-mail for an incoming brine...

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1054 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
Whipped up some avocado pesto tonight with a little whole wheat pasta. Grated some pecorino cheese, and threw in some sliced lomo iberico.

Sounds great, but do you mind sharing what your avocado pesto is? Thanks!

it's my go-to quick dinner.

I just throw 2 haas avocados, 2 or 3 garlic cloves, a lot of fresh basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil into the food processor, then "chop" until smooth and creamy. sometimes i'll add crushed red pepper or cumin, or whatever else is calling to me from the spice cabinet. this will yield enough pesto for 2 generous servings.

i try to use a thick pasta to carry as much pesto as possible, and I try to throw in whatever meat i have laying around. preferably some sausage, but you'll never hear me complain about having to use lomo iberico or pata negra.

Posts: 4388 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:

Thanks
2 cups water, 2 cups dark beer, .25 cup salt, .25 cup brown sugar. It was pretty good although I was short on time so it was only in the brine for 2 hours. I'm sure it would be better with more time.

Posts: 6254 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some abalone steaks from a Sonoma diving trip thawed and pounded out. I dust them in seasoned flour and saute with olive oil, garlic and a little butter, remove, de-glaze the pan with some stock and white wine and let it reduce, add the abalone back in with capers and serve piccata style with steamed broccoli and rice. Probably open a pinot or a NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Posts: 38 | Location: 805 - California | Registered: Jan 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
French-style Pot-Roasted Pork Loin with Marsala and Mushrooms tonight.

posted Hide Post
Dined alfresco tonight, and enjoyed a wonderful redfish with citrus salsa and margaritas. ( more than one, less than 10)

posted Hide Post
Burger Jones Takeout.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taco night at the club tonight. Crispy carnitas on fresh corn tortillas. So simple but so good. Classic Margaritta on the rocks (no salt) hit the spot too.

posted Hide Post
2 nights ago, broiled cod

Last night, roast chicken breast with a shockingly great 2003 Le Vieux Donjon

Tonight, grilled prime NY Strips

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:
Dined alfresco tonightQUOTE]

IFNH8U.

Wink

posted Hide Post
days like today remind me why I live in Miami...

65 degrees out, not a single cloud in the sky.

Last night, as the temps dropped into the high 50's, I sat out on my new deck with a bowl of fresh pasta, basil and tomatoes from our yard, grated pecorino cheese, and some great olive oil.

i could've slept out there.

if this weather holds up, tomorrow's pig roast is gonna be one for the books...

Posts: 4388 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post