WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    January 2013 - What's for dinner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013 - What's for dinner?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Beautiful night in South Florida

Empanadas Argentinas

Grilled some skirt steak and short ribs with green and red bell peppers

Posts: 2144 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday night: chicken tacos w/guacamole and pico de gallo

Last night: bacon-wrapped prime tenderloins, sauteed wild mushrooms, steamed broccoli

Tonight: Pork chops stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach, rosemary red potatoes, pan-seared green beans with lemon and garlic

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5984 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pan seared lamb rib chops with a stout beer, butter and rosemary pan sauce.

Cowboy beans with bacon, tomato and cider vinegar.

Garlic bread.

Beer.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pumpkin gnocchi with foie gras butter and black truffles.

Sauteed frog legs with capers, lemon, white wine and brown butter.

Posts: 29649 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

And the wines with that wonderful meal?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36440 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

And the wines with that wonderful meal?

NV Egly Ouriet Tradition and 2008 Clos Mogador Nelin Blanc.

Posts: 29649 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cassoulet tonight.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2278 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Cassoulet tonight.

I plan on making this (for the first time) soon.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Posts: 5984 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Cassoulet tonight.

I make it based on Anthony Bourdain's recipe. Make sure you confit the duck yourself and Serve with CdP. Also make a big batch because it gets better the second and third day.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2278 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Cassoulet tonight.

I make it based on Anthony Bourdain's recipe. Make sure you confit the duck yourself and Serve with CdP. Also make a big batch because it gets better the second and third day.

Thank you.

A co-worker of mine just recently acquired some duck (bang, bang) on a trip to Idaho, and has a one or two waiting for me.

posted Hide Post
I'm going to make a pumpkin pie today (for the first time).

How well does it pair with Sauternes?

posted Hide Post
Gig, I've never paired the two but I would think they should go well together with spice flavors mingling.

Homemade chicken soup for us tonight.

Posts: 5176 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slow-Roasted Arctic Char with Lemon-Mustard Seed Topping

Posts: 15144 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked Brats and potato salad.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Smoked Brats and potato salad.

I'm looking forward to warmer days and additional hours of daylight so that i can fire up the grill and cook some brats.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last night my cousins and our wives/ fiancees decided on a whim to head up to Fort Lauderdale to my favorite restaurant.

It did not disappoint.

Started with:
Sweet Potato & Hazelnut Gnocchi with Housemade Rabbit Sausage
Crispy Florida Everglades Frog Legs
Roasted Sweet Dumpling Squash
Cabernet Braised Short Rib Raviolis

Then "pre main" the chef sent out some incredible Florida Snapper Collars with a simple arugula salad

Mains:
Grilled Bison Loin with Heirloom Peppers, Sunchokes, Cauliflower, Quail Egg, Mustard Greens, Eggplant Puree, Pomegranate Demi-Glace
Grilled Grassfed Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Almonds, Sautéed Radicchio, Red Wine Demi
Crispy Duck Leg Confit with Toasted Farro, Grilled Corn, Carrots, Kale, Local Mushrooms, Roasted Celery Root, Grilled Scallion, Duck Glace

For dessert:
Almond brownie affogato with homemade toffee ice cream
Banana bread pudding with homemade banana nut ice cream

We drank:
NV Bruno Paillard Brut Premiere Cuvee
2009 Melville Viognier
2004 Chateau Musar
1988 Gruaud Larose
1973 Verdelho Madeira (can't recall producer)

Posts: 4406 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
last night my cousins and our wives/ fiancees decided on a whim to head up to Fort Lauderdale to my favorite restaurant.

It did not disappoint.

Started with:
Sweet Potato & Hazelnut Gnocchi with Housemade Rabbit Sausage
Crispy Florida Everglades Frog Legs
Roasted Sweet Dumpling Squash
Cabernet Braised Short Rib Raviolis

Then "pre main" the chef sent out some incredible Florida Snapper Collars with a simple arugula salad

Mains:
Grilled Bison Loin with Heirloom Peppers, Sunchokes, Cauliflower, Quail Egg, Mustard Greens, Eggplant Puree, Pomegranate Demi-Glace
Grilled Grassfed Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Almonds, Sautéed Radicchio, Red Wine Demi
Crispy Duck Leg Confit with Toasted Farro, Grilled Corn, Carrots, Kale, Local Mushrooms, Roasted Celery Root, Grilled Scallion, Duck Glace

For dessert:
Almond brownie affogato with homemade toffee ice cream
Banana bread pudding with homemade banana nut ice cream

We drank:
NV Bruno Paillard Brut Premiere Cuvee
2009 Melville Viognier
2004 Chateau Musar
1988 Gruaud Larose
1973 Verdelho Madeira (can't recall producer)

This f***in' guy...
(In my best Silvio Dante voice)
Razz

Posts: 5176 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Backstreet Cafe with my parents and had lamb chops and lamb sausage with sauteed spinach and cheesy grits.

Had the chocolate caramel creme brulee for dessert and it was AWESOME.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Gig, I've never paired the two but I would think they should go well together with spice flavors mingling.

Homemade chicken soup for us tonight.

bill- I decided against a dessert wine tonight; tomorrow is a busy day for me.

The good news is that there is enough dough and pie filling to make another pie, so next weekend I might give it a try.

posted Hide Post
Fish Piccata - fresh ling cod, floured and pan fried, with a pan-made classic piccata sauce of white wine, lemon juice, capers, butter and parsley. Serves with angel hair.

Wine: 2011 l'Ecole No. 41 Semillon Columbia Valley

Cheers!

Posts: 2812 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
butter chicken on jasmine rice.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whipped up some avocado pesto tonight with a little whole wheat pasta. Grated some pecorino cheese, and threw in some sliced lomo iberico.

Posts: 4406 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A peanut butter shake from Lumpy's. Later.... got hungry and seared a few drumsticks and then cooked them in the dutch oven with some mushrooms.

Posts: 8528 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night of leftover seafood gumbo. I thought it turned out pretty good for my first time making gumbo.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2583 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
Whipped up some avocado pesto tonight with a little whole wheat pasta. Grated some pecorino cheese, and threw in some sliced lomo iberico.

Sounds great, but do you mind sharing what your avocado pesto is? Thanks!

Cheers!

Posts: 2812 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post