WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Your favorite cookware? I guess knives too!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite cookware? I guess knives too!
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Calphalon stainless and Cuisinart knives here. I only use my cast iron pan for making homemade corn bread.

Posts: 2205 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought one of the new Shun Utility knives. It is great, very versatile and is a heck of a bread knife. Available for $99 at Williams Sonoma.

"Texas is the place where there are the most cows and the least milk, the most rivers and the least water in them, and where you can look the farthest and see the least." H. L. Mencken

No place like home.

Posts: 837 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: Jun 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wustof knives

sarbuze: what kind of stove do you have? Pots would vary as to type of surface. Glass panel needs flat bottoms, electric stove also would require a flat bottom, and gas, about anything goes.

As for me I prefer a nice solid pot or pan, and non metal handle to allow no burns to the hands. Had Chapeon a few years ago, and teh pot would be too hot to handle AFTER the meal!.

Stay away from glazed pats as they chip, and thus ruining pot.

Cast iron [properly aged] is good for searing, browning etc.

Also I like pots that can be used either in oven or stove.

Le Creuset or Circulon is good for everyday

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6320 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my barbeque, it's not expensive but I adore grilling on it. Also I'm a Mac knife collector.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, we can call you Mack the Knife?

"Texas is the place where there are the most cows and the least milk, the most rivers and the least water in them, and where you can look the farthest and see the least." H. L. Mencken

No place like home.

Posts: 837 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: Jun 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flwino:
Wustof knives

sarbuze: what kind of stove do you have? Pots would vary as to type of surface. Glass panel needs flat bottoms, electric stove also would require a flat bottom, and gas, about anything goes.

Funny you should ask...we just decided to remodel our kitchen and bought all new appliances (and washer/dryer) this past weekend!

All Maytag appliances (they had a nice $500 rebate if you bought 5 or more Maytags) including a Maytag Gas Range/Convection Oven Combo Smile

Now we have to pick cabinets/counter tops! My next 4 weekends or so are going to be very busy...but a good busy.

Posts: 986 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineDrinkerofTexas:
So, we can call you Mack the Knife?

I get called worse every day.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a mix as I fold All Clad into the mix. I also have an iron skillet, handed down from my grandmother to me. I love it, but I don't know how that little lady lifted that thing night after night.

Knives - Henckel Pro series...love 'em

Great story for All Cald fans...

I had some relatives visiting last year and though they do not drink, I took them to Napa to show them around, and we lunched at Bouchon. Doing a quick tour of Yountville and French Laundry, there was a buzz of activity out back of the FL. I spotted people carrying away pots, pans, appliances, dishes. "Everyone out of the car," I screamed, and we all joined what looked to be an employee yard sale. I bought several All Clads...$5 each!!!

keytohwy

Posts: 288 | Location: just south of Napa Valley | Registered: Jul 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of replacing some of my cookware; my first purchase will be a Le Creuset 12" skillet. I'm also looking at All Clad for some stainless steel pieces.

The last post in this thread is nearly five years old. I'd be interested in any additional thoughts/recommendations.

TIA.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6094 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big All-Clad fan here. The extra $$ for the 5-ply stuff is worth it imo.

Obviously, if you want to skimp, stock pots are where to do it. A Calphalon stainless pot will work just fine. You could also probably go generic.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7575 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Shun Ken Onion series - love it!

Posts: 656 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
210mm Mcusta gyuto

240mm custom Del Ealy gyuto with burled buckeye/maple ferrule and handle

150mm custom Devin Thomas petty with ebony and australian gum handle and ferrule.

Gotta love great knives in the kitchen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DoktaP,

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Big All-Clad fan here. The extra $$ for the 5-ply stuff is worth it imo.

Is the "5-ply" their top-of-the-line product?

Obviously, if you want to skimp, stock pots are where to do it. A Calphalon stainless pot will work just fine. You could also probably go generic.

I am set with stock pots; the most recent addition was a Le Creuset we received as a gift a couple of years ago. We love it!

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6094 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the "5-ply" their top-of-the-line product?

Nope. The copper core is their top. Beautiful, but very very expensive.

The d5 cookware is usually only about 30% more $$ than the stainless. The copper core is usually abut 70% - 80% more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
210mm Mcusta gyuto

240mm custom Del Ealy gyuto with burled buckete/maple ferrule and handle

150mm custom Devin Thomas petty with ebony and australian gum handle and ferrule.

Nice cutlery there Dok. My most recent acquisition is a 150mm Moritaka Petty (AS steel) and my go to knife the past few years has been a Hiromoto AS Santoku 190mm.
I just finished up my sharpening regimen on all my knives and based on my bare forearm they are more then adequately sharp. And I agree, it's hard to beat a really sharp knife in the kitchen.

Posts: 3141 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.cookwarenmore.com/

I used this place to buy my copper core All Clad and have had zero issues. Might be helpful!

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2740 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
I have a set of Shun Ken Onion series - love it!

These are great knives. The 8" Chef's knife is one of my workhorses.

But I do go back and forth between these and my Wusthoff Classics.

There are actually several great knife lines out there...

posted Hide Post
I love my sous vide machine.

Also my 270mm Masamoto shiro-ko yanagiba. =)

Posts: 1611 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
210mm Mcusta gyuto

240mm custom Del Ealy gyuto with burled buckeye/maple ferrule and handle

Mcusta Zanmai Pro Gyuto (210mm) with Quince Wood handle

Loving it!

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a brand new All-Clad 13" French Skillet that's awesome. Loving it. So much cheaper to buy in the US compared to Canada.

Posts: 10878 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Wusthof Gran Prix 7" Santoku knife is the MVP for the modest amount of kitchen work I put in.

Posts: 5432 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
I've got a brand new All-Clad 13" French Skillet that's awesome. Loving it. So much cheaper to buy in the US compared to Canada.

I have this exact pot (the d5 construction) and it is probably my single most used pot. Love it!

posted Hide Post
I finished my Henckels knives collection a while ago by purchasing about 1 every 6 months. I get them sharpened about once per year.
For cookware, I'm about halfway through collecting a set of Scanpans from Sur la Table.

Posts: 41 | Location: 805 - California | Registered: Jan 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Global knives for the smaller blade angle, so they stay sharper longer. I appreciate Henckels, just don't prefer them.

All-Clad stainless and a good, seasoned cast iron skillet. I clean the stainless with a solution of white vinegar and sea salt. Just the teeniest bit of elbow grease and all spots come right off. Also works on any copper-bottoms I have.

Le Creuset for bakeware.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of mauviel copper cookware. For its heft, for its durability, and for its even cooking. For bakeware and cast iron, Le Creuset can't be beat. Invest in 5 good pieces, and you will be set.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2991 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post