WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    What cheese are you eating?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What cheese are you eating?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Found more Brie aux Truffe (@ the Marche' 440). Marche' Atwater ran out and said they only get it at Xmas time.

THIS is worth getting worked up about.
Awesome stuff.

Posts: 15381 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
After the big buidup, I was a little disappointed with the Etorki. I was expecting the second coming of Epoisses.

Don't get the hype over Etorki either. Pretty mediocre to me.

<gasp!>

Hey, thank God there's a lot of different cheeses made. Can you imagine if everyone had exactly the same tastes?

Someone should start making different kinds of wines, too, just in case people's tastes vary in that area as well. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8322 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brie, lots and lots of brie. Smile

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6046 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rondoux Triple Cream 'Soft Surface Ripened' -- very similar to Camembert but as rich as sucking on a stick of sweet butter. Comes in a small 120g round packaged in a thin wood drum. Absolutely wonderful in the way that only 45% butterfat can be. Smile A little bit goes a long way.

Cheers!

Posts: 8322 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite- Epoisses

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite- Epoisses

A great cheese. I could make a meal out of Epoisses, a good baguette, and a nice white wine with some good acidity. But I could only do it about once every year or two. Smile

Cheers!

posted Hide Post
Aged Monterey Jack with 2003 Stags Leap Winery Merlot.

Posts: 9380 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"What cheeses are you eating?"
All of them. Saw an episode of Alton Brown the other night where he suggested what to do with those bits of leftover cheeses. Made this last night, and it was very good.

Fromage Fort

1 lb. of leftover cheeses at room temp
1/4 c. white wine
3 T. unsalted butter
2 T. fresh parsley leaves
1 small clove of garlic

Remove any rinds from hard cheeses. Grate hard cheeses and cut others into 1/2" cubes. Place ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth, approx. 2 minutes. Serve with crackers immediately or chill 1 hour for firmer consistancy.

I added the juice from 1 lemon wedge to the above for a bit brighter taste. The beauty of this recipe is that it will work with whatever cheeses you have on hand. Just toss them all in together, but make sure you don't have too many salty cheeses in the same batch.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6746 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took a Pienza from my Pecorino (as I have said numerous time to my special lady friend). Seriously just had some aged pecorino with some 2001 Barbi -Delicious! Reminds me of my time in Tuscany!

Posts: 2645 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
My favorite- Epoisses

A great cheese. I could make a meal out of Epoisses, a good baguette, and a nice white wine with some good acidity. But I could only do it about once every year or two. Smile

We made a meal out of Epoisses last night. My wife wasn't feeling well, so we cancelled our plans, but I had an Epoisses sitting out for four hours. I wasn't about to wrap it up and refrigerate it, so it was to be my dinner, but my wife started to feel better, so we shared it, but I had 2/3 of it. Had a 2002 Laughing Magpie with it.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's my turn to bring tonights cheese with a theme of beaujolais.

i'll be looking for the standard morbier, emmentaler & raclette. any further rec's?

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, change the theme. Big Grin

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Robiola due Latte-
combination of cow and sheep's cheese. Mushroomy and soft. 60% Milder for sure than epoisse, but not totally dissimilar.
Got it at Whole Foods.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7101 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh burrata. Always one of my favourites.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2371 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
<bump> Discovered a really delicious blue goat cheese yesterday. Bleu du Bocage, a raw milk cheese from France, which is surprisingly sweet. I was expecting something much stronger. Not cheap though at $79/kg.

Posts: 10009 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cave-aged gruyere. Crunchy with calium deposits Cool

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1095 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a household favorite! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
Cave-aged gruyere. Crunchy with calium deposits Cool

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had an appetizer last night at our local favorite restaurant that was a Brie & Strawberry Crostini with Macadamia. Holy crap it was good. I've never been a huge Brie fan, but what a combination.

Posts: 3551 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Manchego, paired nicely with a merlot and pinot.

Posts: 1764 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Manchego .. try it with membrillo and a nice Spanish rose.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in KS:
Do you make your own membrillo?

Posts: 1764 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montesinos Capricho de Cabra
Spanish goat milk chees

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Formage D'Affinois - love it and reasonably priced

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jan 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also suggest Manchego with a Confit d'oignons.
If you can source the one from Chez Bernard even better.
Just put a very small dollap onto a small slice. Gorgeous!

Posts: 15381 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

Also suggest Manchego with a Confit d'oignons.
If you can source the one from Chez Bernard even better.
Just put a very small dollap onto a small slice. Gorgeous!
I will look for both! Wink