WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dining and Cooking    Vinegar for Chicken Adobo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinegar for Chicken Adobo?
 Login/Join 
posted
Plan to make it tonight and the recipe I'm using calls for white vinegar. Is just regular white vinegar Ok, or should use a white white vinegar or some other type?

TIA

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2657 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
regular white

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2211 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Plan to make it tonight and the recipe I'm using calls for white vinegar. Is just regular white vinegar Ok, or should use a white white vinegar or some other type?

TIA

you can use lime juice too

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11612 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned how to cook adobe from my 78 year old mexican mother in law. On my recipe it says 'apple.' I've used both apple and white and can't tell a difference. Use a mortal and pestle to grind up the spices.

Posts: 1036 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
On my recipe it says 'apple.' I've used both apple and white and can't tell a difference.

Agreed. When it comes to small quantities of vinegar in cooking I often substitute without detriment. White, cider, wine, rice.... it seems that most vinegar is vinegary.

PH

Posts: 14937 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
Use a mortal and pestle to grind up the spices.

By all means you don't want any immortals in your kitchen Woot

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3435 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. It is cooking now. Getting ready to pour myself a glass of Gewurztraminer and relax.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2657 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you put in too much white vinegar, don't despair. That's why God made Italian wine.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonjour,

too late.... rice vinegar... white wine vinegar is no problem... I love Poulet au vinaigre ….forget Soy sauce Cool ....

-> If you put in too much white vinegar, don't despair. That's why God made Italian wine.<- Balsamic vinegar? Smile

Ornellaia

Posts: 11 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: Nov 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use apple cider vinegar for a chicken and pork adobo.

Posts: 73 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post