WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Impact of decellaring...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impact of decellaring...
 Login/Join 
posted
I need to make space in my cellar- can I remove wine for storage at room temperature without harming the wine (beyond the normal harm of room temperature storage)? Thanks!

Posts: 880 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your "room temperature" regularly exceeds 70+ degrees, I wouldn't do it for more than 6 months or so for any wine worth worrying about. But that's just me.

PH

Posts: 15224 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EB - it's October and you're in Chicago, a place where most of your wine probably isn't from. Do you think it's been at cellar temp from fermentation to your house? It's not cellar temp when it's being bottled or carted around the winery and it's likely as not shipped in unrefrigerated trucks either from the west coast to you or to the docks in some other country, then shipped here, then again in unrefrigerated trucks from the docks to warehouse to store to you.

So the short answer is no.

But if perchance you leave it a 95F for a few months, who knows what you'll end up with.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2646 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep- once it hits 70 I begin to worry. I keep the house at 68, so no worries...guarantee Binny's is no cooler than that!

In any event, my best bet may be to drink up, or buy a bigger cellar, ha ha.

Posts: 880 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Yep- once it hits 70 I begin to worry. I keep the house at 68, so no worries...guarantee Binny's is no cooler than that!

Have us all over, we'll carpool from the burbs, and graciously assist in clearing some space for you! Smile

Posts: 5494 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:

Have us all over, we'll carpool from the burbs, and graciously assist in clearing some space for you! Smile

Then onto Map Room for the encore!

posted Hide Post
Map Room is awesome. DanTheRhoneFan and I met Wine Sparty there last year. Not far from Goose Island, either. Then you have Piece. Mmm...beer offline...

Talk about thread drift! Smack

Posts: 5494 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post