WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    A few wine terms I have questions about.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few wine terms I have questions about.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
which basically means the normal carbohydrate compounds and naturally dissolved oxygen in a wine eventually turns into Hydrogen Sulfide

Which is H2S. No carbohydrates or oxygen included.

Moreover, I'm not sure why people insist that corks allow oxygen transmission. The best corks don't allow air exchange.

Sulfur is reactive. Oxygen more so. If there isn't sufficient sulfur, your wine oxidizes. If there isn't sufficient oxygen, which is a "reductive" environment, the natural and added sulfur reacts with other elements to form sulfur compounds. Some stink.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnhoad:

What is the best way to explain "Tannins"? I know its to do with the seeds and skin left in the wine and its what gives it a dry mouth taste, but if a wine is low or high in tannins, what does that really mean to the drinker?

Any advice would be great! Thanks, John.

John,
Rachael, owner and wine maker at AniChe Cellars, writes a regular column on our site called Geek Out with Rachael. She explores topics from closures to food pairing to oxygen damage. This one I think will help answer your first question.
Tannins and astringency

I think you will find the other posts helpful too.

AniChe Cellars is a small family winery located in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge. We make wines with an eye to European tradition with a particularly Washington State sense of terroir and style. Our wines are almost entirely varietal blends, believing that wine varietals are very much like people and dogs, with an egalitarian mixing up of characteristics to create interesting nuances and surprising complexity and beauty (think Bobby Arellano, mutts and Bordeaux). Our fruit comes from Washington state’s plethora of renowned AVA’s, including our very own Columbia Gorge AVA.

Posts: 1 | Location: Underwood, WA | Registered: Mar 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion wine is wine because of the cork. The sexiness of it, hearing that cork pop.Now, I have had some great screw tops and let me tell you here in Lake County at 112 degrees on top of a hill or on the lake, screw tops are great, quick and easy. But me personally cork is they way to go. There is so much controversy on wine s with corks/screw tops. Our winery at one point tried the screw tops, it lasted 2 vintages and went back to natural cork. In the end it's your personal preference.
quote:
Originally posted by Johnhoad:
Thanks to all who helped me out with those two questions!

Can anyone help me with his one?

Is a screw top better that a cork?

John

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my opinion wine is wine because of the cork. The sexiness of it, hearing that cork pop

Confused

But if you take it out carefully, which I do when in a restaurant or at my table, you don't hear a pop because you don't jerk the cork out and spray a few drops of wine around. Even when I open bottles in the kitchen, away from everyone, I try not to let it pop.

But what's sexy about a closure that was developed over a hundred years ago? If the wine is a bit older, you have a bit of mustiness, maybe some mold, I don't know - it reminds me a little of the crud in the wheel wells of my car.

Maybe in another hundred years people will be collecting and rhapsodizing over the molded plastic bubble packaging in which Whole Food sells its "organic" lettuce? Unlike cork, that stuff outlives the product it packages! Just my 2 cts.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:
In my opinion wine is wine because of the cork. The sexiness of it, hearing that cork pop

Confused

But if you take it out carefully, which I do when in a restaurant or at my table, you don't hear a pop because you don't jerk the cork out and spray a few drops of wine around. Even when I open bottles in the kitchen, away from everyone, I try not to let it pop.

excuse me, but I'm pretty sure the sound of my lafite popping is better then whatever rioja you're trying to quietly slowly remove.

people should only be so honored to be sprayed by 50$ per drop ;-)

My coworker says it best,

"there's nothing as attractive as watching your date think yer a cheap fck because you got a btl with a screw cap"

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12122 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

My coworker says it best,

"there's nothing as attractive as watching your date think yer a cheap fck because you got a btl with a screw cap"

Non-starter for me. I would never date anyone who :

A. Didn't already know about TCA and could identify it and lecture her waiter about it when a dispute arose, or
B. Gave a rats ass as long as it was good and could be finished in the hot tub.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7669 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For sure the best thread I've read on these boards in a long time. Wit, intelligence, and some useful information all in the same place. Quite refreshing. I especially enjoyed the part about gallotannins by GregT and the part about spitting & never swallowing by Paul. I give this thread 93 points.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5564 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:

Non-starter for me. I would never date anyone who :

B. Gave a rats ass as long as it was good and could be finished in the hot tub.

Well said Paul, when it comes down to it, the taste is what matters. Charging a lot of money and wrapping it up pretty does not turn a nag into a derby winner.

Everything is better with wine
Wine and Beer Blog: blog.wineandbarware.com

Posts: 6 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post