WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Clarification on "Foxy"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clarification on "Foxy"
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all:

Our little wine company took over a line of locally-made wines; some made with Cynthiana/Norton.

I was inclined to call these wines foxy in nature, but maybe that's just me labeling anything native to America with that term.

I'm having a little bit of a tough time coming up with clearly understood descriptors for the term "foxy" to make sure what I'm tasting is indeed "foxy". After pondering the wines, I was beginning to think they may be a little off. Basically I'm doubting my understanding of "foxy".

A little help for me if you can spare it?

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a great description.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a wine is using the Norton grape, perhaps fox piss may be accurate. Smile

Comment made in fun with good intentions!

Posts: 5136 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

How can we get all wine to be like that?

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2479 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Methyl anthranilate - Musk, gardenia, jasmine, wisteria or at it's worst rotting flesh. Sweet to the point of being sickly or rotting sweet.

For most of your customers Grape Kool Aid, grape soda and grape bubble gum would be the closest discriptor they would be familiar with. Someone who farms rice or corn would also likely recognize the smell as bird repellent.

All in all an 'aquired' taste.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7532 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I was near the conclusion that the wine was overtly off and bad, but apparently it was intended!

Fox piss and bird repellent. Lovely.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stefania Wine is right on.. "foxy" is the compound methyl anthranilate. It is what gives grape candy its grape flavor. The most notable grape with which this is associated is the concord grape which is good for juice but not good for wine.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welch's Grape Juice is the epitome of "foxy".

--------------
My name is Prince, and I am funky.

Posts: 1509 | Location: Napa, Ca | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well... Now I'm a bit confused again.

I don't consider Welch's grape juice to have notes of fox piss or rotting flesh-- but I do understand ripeness to the point of cloying sweetness and near rot, yes? I think of super-ripe mangos in this way. Sometimes they can get so ripe they are downright arm-pittish, but I have never had the same reaction with grapes or grape juice as of yet.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Hombre:
Welch's Grape Juice is the epitome of "foxy".

How could it not be??

Cool

PH

Posts: 14644 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not Laura?!

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

posted Hide Post
NOW - Welch's is 'foxy', but it's like a 100 point foxy. It's an industrial product that's been fine tuned to show the best it can be.

You're not going to get that in any wine, pretty much ever.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7532 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just "got" foxy. Having a 2004 Brunello that I think has showed me what foxy is. I can see all of the grape candy thing and the sweetness to the point of rotting. Smile

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

posted Hide Post
Ummm, probably not in a Brunello.

I've only had a couple of Cynthiana/Norton wines, and they did not strike me as being overly foxy, either.

The true epitome of foxy comes in wines from Ohio, Pennsylvania, South West NY, along Lake Erie, and down along the Ohio River valley, where they actually try to make varietal wine from Concord, Delaware, and other Vitis labrusco grapes. You would get a similar result, I think, if you fermented Welch's grape juice. It has nothing to do with ripeness or sweetness, it's just the character of the grape. Here in Michigan, most wineries have quit making pure native grape wines, although there are a few hybrid V. labrusco/V. vinifera grapes that are used to make wines, and which often have more than a hint of foxiness. There are red grapes that grow wild around here pretty much everywhere, that carry the "foxy" flavors. I know a bunch of local yokels that grow grapes behind their barn and make it into "wine", and of course ask me to try it. Sometimes, it's OK for drinking from a Red Solo Cup and getting smashed, but there's nothing "fine" about it.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2888 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

How can we get all wine to be like that?

+1

Posts: 1592 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post