WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Have new large 600-bottle wine cabinet. Organization ideas?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have new large 600-bottle wine cabinet. Organization ideas?
 Login/Join 
posted
I have finally decided to move our wine from boxes to wine refrigerator. We didn't have room for a cellar so we opted for a large wine refrigerator. Now I need help organizing my wines.

I have brunellos, various, Bordeaux, burgundies, California cab and Pinot and Oregon Pinot. Our white is stored separately.

Question is do you have any suggestions for organizing all this ine? Do it by drinkability? Any other criteria?

Thanks!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's only 600 bottles I'd just put them in and you can tell what they are by the capsules. If you want, you can put them roughly by some way that makes sense - country, grape, etc.

I wouldn't over think it however. People can spend a lot of time rearranging their wines and tracking them - time that could be better spent drinking them.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2562 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for reply. i have a first sort by country and varietal. nothing fancy. the odd numbers were a problem as the shelves hold two bottles. unfortunately or fortunately, i couldn't place all our wine into this cooler. i have about 4 cases left in their boxes. Smile

posted Hide Post
Time to buy another!

Smile

Posts: 6417 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
If it's only 600 bottles

I love this!!! "only" 600. Pls insert "envy emoticon".

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1529 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That might have come off a little differently than I'd meant! I'm just saying that it's not difficult for the human mind to keep a rough map of where stuff is when it's all in one spot.

Some people keep maps of where each wine is and they record when they move this to that spot, etc. That's completely obsessive IMO and cries out for some kind of medication and/or therapy. It's easier to kinda sorta keep France over here, Italy over there, etc. In my cellar the back wall is Spain and I kind of keep the bins sorted by region but not religiously. The other side are Rhones, and roughly but not obsessivly by subregion, Italy is kind of easy because most Tuscan bottles are Bordeaux shaped whereas Piedmont tends to have Burgundy shaped bottles so I can keep those roughly together, Washington kind of goes together, as does CA. Austrian wines typically have the red and white caps so those are easy to spot, and up front is the wife bin.

It's not really "organized" but I never really have a problem finding stuff. The wine fridge is the same - each shelf kind of devoted to similar wines but not religiously because you do drink them after all, so it's always in flux. You can spend a lot of time recording and keeping data but that's like organizing your freezer - i.e. not something that really improves your life in any way but sure wastes a lot of time.

One thing I would suggest however, is that the bottles needing the longest aging be put towards the bottom and the back, and space up front be kept for stuff that's going to be consumed quickly.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2562 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple suggestions.

Eliminate as many single "drawer" vanity shelves as you can and go for bulk stacking if possible. You'll max your available storage this way.

Long term agers down low. Drink nows on top.

Use CellarTracker's location field when inputting your wine, or update CellarTracker with a location (i.e. bottom shelf 2nd level) or something like that. I'm getting ready to empty my 3 coolers to wipe them down and change filters, and will probably do something like this as, unlike most people Bang, I can NEVER flipping find the bottle I'm looking for. Especially when time is of the essence.

PH

Posts: 14937 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the observation about knowing roughly where the wines are since they are all in one space. We had a 2003 Brunello last night with tournedos Rossini and after two hours in thed decanter, it was excellent.fortunately, it has time to age some so I don't feel pressure to drink those quickly.

posted Hide Post
I prefer to clump wines together by region, i.e. California Cabs, California Pinots, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Oregon pinots, Italians, Australians, California Central Coast, etc.
When I am in the mood, I just go that area.
More important than how to arrange them is how to keep track of them. CellarTracker or some sort of means of being able to find any bottle at any time is critical.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Good idea.

posted Hide Post
in most cellars (stand alone, built ins and passives) have a cooler spot, a warmer spot and then the mainspot. I set up my cellar initially wtih stickies, vintage port and long term storage reds in the cold spots towards the main spot. I store my daily drinkers, closer to be consumed wines in the warm spots towards the main spot. I store more valuable wines in the back spots (my cellar racking is two bottle deep) I keep wine in their owc whenever possible. Few exceptions: 375's go in wood boxes as they dont fit racking, magnums and up go on top of racks with reds being close to the blowers, bubbly is stored standing in wood boxes in corner to avoid possible accidents (happened once to me where bottle popped in cellar)
I plotted racks like a graph with vertical and horizontal axes. spot g8 is the the seventh row and eight shelve in that row. Fairly simply at first, was/is a pain to keep on top of sometimes.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make pretty pictures with the colored capsules. Kind of like wine topiary.

Currently I have a dolphin and a 57 Chevrolet Bel Aire.

I got the idea from tlily.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!