WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Where to start
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to start
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A wine tasting group is a great idea. My husband and I have met monthly with 5 other couples for 34 years. We've tasted lots of wines and have learned a lot. Lots of fun!

You can concentrate on a particular wine region each month or on a specific varietal.

Good luck!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Feb 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:
I will get the smelly kit if you really think it will help.

Forget the smelly kit. I bought one when I started, and although it was fun for the first couple of weeks, I haven't opened the vials in several years now.

If you want to understand what you are smelling, go to the produce section of a supermarket, a farmer's market, take a walk in a forest or park, open up your spice cabinet, etc. You just need to be more aware of the every day smells around you. It'll be easier to assign descriptors to the glass of wine in front of you.

This reminds me of this past Christmas when I spent an entire day pandering around Home Depot crunching up and sniffing pine needles from all the different kinds of pine trees to add to my "smelly kit" in my brain.

I got some great looks that day...

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post