WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    A red daily drinker medium bodied alternative to Pinot Noir?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A red daily drinker medium bodied alternative to Pinot Noir?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ruffino Il Ducale - no stress wine, good with food and you can find it anywhere.

If you're willing to move slightly up the scale of medium-body, M. Chapoutier's Bila Haut wines are also really good for the price.

Posts: 35 | Location: Virginia, Seoul, Singapore | Registered: Feb 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great screen name, Unctuous!

p.s. welcome to the boards.

Posts: 2665 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks VinT. Have been reading through the forum for some time, but thought it would be fun to start posting too. Cheers!

Posts: 35 | Location: Virginia, Seoul, Singapore | Registered: Feb 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruno Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba is one I often recommend.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
Bruno Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba is one I often recommend.

+1...Great recommendation.

I'd also add a Rosso di Montalcino from any reputable producer. A few of my favorites include Rosso's from Valdicava & Il Poggione. Both are around $25-30, and present an outstanding QPR.

Posts: 1410 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to throw L'Ecole #41 Merlot in the running. Very easy to get and you can often find it <$40. If you contact the winery directly, you can often get the previous year's wine for a nice discount (>20%)

Posts: 1992 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bite...medium bodied daily drinkers around $10:

Herencia Altes Garnacha Negra
Borsao Tres Picos
Borsao Berola
Falesco Merlot Dell Umbria

Also a few bucks more, the Oyster Bay Pinot Noir as Hunter recommended is excellent for the price.

Posts: 582 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unctuous:
If you're willing to move slightly up the scale of medium-body, M. Chapoutier's Bila Haut wines are also really good for the price.

Ditto on the Bila Haut...decent quaffer, and medium bodied for around $10.

Posts: 582 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paulo Scavino Vino Rosso - will definitely do the trick

Posts: 5849 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post