WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    How much do you drink?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you drink?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I am new to drinking wine and I was just wondering how much some of you drink in any given week. I am liking wine very much and just want to get a feel as to how much is considered "overboard".

Thanks!!

Posts: 24 | Location: Salt Lake, UT | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0-3 bottles depending on circumstances.

Posts: 8806 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will split a bottle with dinner. So, that's about 2.5 glasses each or so. Not every night, but most of the time.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7216 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most weeks, three bottles.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37165 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two bottles per week.

Posts: 253 | Location: New York City | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all that replied. That's about what I find myself drinking (1-3). Thanks again!

Posts: 24 | Location: Salt Lake, UT | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are good for 6-10 bottles a week. I'm neither proud nor ashamed.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will average 2 to 4 bottles/week. We usually have it with dinner on Friday and Saturday, even if we didn't drink any during the week.

Posts: 60 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 7 bottles per week, between my wife and me.

Got acid?
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Redstate USA | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spenser, I'm with you!!!

Posts: 834 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too much. I'm a weekend drunk for sure, and I find myself enjoying a good glass of wine/beer/rum/grappa on quite a few weekdays as well.

I'll chalk it up to education though.

Posts: 113 | Location: Grythyttan, Sweden | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to say my boyfriend and I throw back about 3-7 bottles per week...mostly on the weekends...I'm a single malt drinker on the weekdays

But I agree with Thorn- chalk it up to education! Smile

"Carpe Vinum!"

Posts: 30 | Location: Philippines | Registered: Mar 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darlene:
Spenser, I'm with you!!!

That makes 3 of us.

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the week. If my wife and I stay home and don’t go out or entertain we will probably drink about 2-3 bottles/week. When entertaining or dining out we will consume more. I find that we probably drink a little bit more wine in the winter vs. summer. However, we probably drink more whites in the summer vs winter. Another reason that I think we drink less wine in the summer is because I drink more beer in summer. It’s very satisfying to finish up a 50 mile bike ride in 90 degree heat with near 100% humidity and down a few ice cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ales or an Ayinger Bräu Weisse.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Cellar Tracker, according to CT my wife and I have drunk on average 2.89 bottles per week since the begenning of the year.

CT rules

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate CT...it showed me that what I thought is an addiction and the hole in the pocket - the raku collection,
is nothing compared to wine.

Darn technology, I felt much better when I didn't know
Wink

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max of four... after that the horrible "Wined-Out monster" comes out!

Posts: 20 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 bottle a week.. but I think up to 1 a day is acceptable haha ;-)

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amount wise: 1 bottle/month. I might open a bottle a week but 3/4 of it usually goes down the drain, given to someone else, or cooked with. Most of my tastings nowadays are done through retail stores.

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amount wise: 1 bottle/month.

You need to drink more. Big Grin Seriously. And no more of this "down the drain" stuff, lady!!!

PH

Posts: 15363 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok...maybe not all of it goes down the drain, sometimes it goes into sangria (for gatherings) or to cook with.

Hey, it ain't easy loving wine and being single...producers need to make more half bottle offerings.

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
sangria

Eek Eek

Seriously, Bella. You can make your own 375's simply. Just get a clean, empty 375. If you know you're not going to finish the bottle, immediately pour (a funnel is helpful here) into the empty 375 within an inch of the top of the bottle. Insert the cork from your bottle (so you'll know wine it is) and push down until wine comes out of the top of the bottle. This is done in the sink. Period! Razz

You now have a virtually airtight seal. No need to lay the bottle on the side either, since the cork is in touch with the wine. Will hold easily for a few weeks if not longer. Try it! I picked up this tip from posters here on the WS boards, and it works like a charm!

PH

Posts: 15363 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or do like I did and get yourself a bottle of Whitehall Lane CS in .375 format bottled under screwcap. Fill er up, tighten down the cap and slap er back in the cellar. Boil the bottle and cap between uses.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13684 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 - 4 glasses a day. Skip one to two days a week for your liver to rest.

Sorrisi Viola,
cabsaandzins

Posts: 91 | Location: Wilmington, NC | Registered: May 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anywhere from 1 to a god-awful amount, especially during the summer, when we constantly have guests for the weekend at the beach house.

Just this weekend i brought a case, and we drank it and another 5 bottles to boot.

If restricted to just my wife and I, I'd say 2 to 3 a week on average.

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post