WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    cold temperatures and wine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cold temperatures and wine
 Login/Join 
posted
I had some moderately expensive wine shipped from Napa to the Seattle area last week (didn't know it was being sent that week). Unfortunately we were hit with snow storm, then ice storm. Bottom line, UPS couldn't deliver until today and they stayed on the truck, hopefully parked inside a facility but maybe outside. What are thoughts on wine exposed to 28 degree temperatures intermittently for about 5 days? Thank you for your input.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the corks haven't extruded, I think you're fine.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37101 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Depending on alcohol content, wine freezes somewhere between 15-23° F. If the wine was well insulated, it would have survived even these kinds of temperatures for quite some time. No worries.

PH

Posts: 15347 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank both of you for your input. Also talked to the winemaker and he told me almost exactly what you wrote in your responses. Thanks again.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post