WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Searching and overwealmed......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searching and overwealmed......
 Login/Join 
posted
hello all Big Grin

I am very green when it comes to wine so please bare with me. I was given a bottle of wine at my wedding last year and I finally popped the cork on it a few weeks ago. I am a scotch guy so I had never even tried wine prior to this
( I know its a bit odd) but I was under the impression all wine was sweet and fruity. but this was not the case and I am now on the hunt Smile
the problem is, I am having allot of trouble Understanding all the tasting notes.....
and the only wine tasting I could find near me was at the local "World Market" and it was a complete waste of time in my opinion. I learned absolutely nothing from that person......

so I was wondering if some of you with more experience could assist me in finding more that I might like.

so far I am trying to stay in the Sub $20 range until my taste and knowledge develop, but its been very hit and miss since I am going in blind. but so far i have determined I like Cabernet the most.

the wine that i was given was a bottle of "Leese-Fitch Cabernet Sauvignon 2010"
And I liked it quite a bit.

then my wife got me a bottle of "Cupcake Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2010"
this was way to sweet and fruity to me.
she also got a bottle of "Smoking Loon Cabernet Sauvignon 2010"
I didn't care for this one at all, it seemed "Green" like a banana that isn't ripe.

so after her lack of success I spent a good 2 hours in Albertsons hunting and reading labels using the Swirl Android app. after getting frustrated trying to understand all the verbiage I just grabbed something.
"Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2009" and I really liked it!
so far I like it the most, and I really liked the more dry taste it had. it also seemed smoother.
but i find myself wanting a more "espresso", "earthy" ,"Oak" or "smokey" taste if that makes sense.

If any of this makes sense I would really appreciate the help.
anything to narrow down my search would be fantastic.
there are so many choices it gets frustrating Confused

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awsome opportunity for a great begginers threadSmile In short, I would first advise a "wine tasting trip". I wonder if that os doable given your location? If not... I shall take the time later, to begin some short lessonSmile CHEERS

Win, Lose, or Draw... to God be the glory.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you I would appreciate that,

I am currently looking into doing a tasting, but so far I have not found anything other than the sad example at world market. any question I asked seemed to confuse them, I have a strong feeling it was more about sales Confused

I really don't know where to start looking. I live in Roanoke TX near Grapevine, surely there is something in Grapevine LOL I just haven't found it yet and work tends to delay things..... and I am in no position to take a trip to napa valley either Frown

I am still researching heavily through google resources, but its a slow process.
I cant exactly find a table of tasting definitions.... even then without something to taste as an example its probably quite difficult.

posted Hide Post
you're actually on the right track, just trying stuff at this point. Start keeping notes, a wine journal, or even use Cellar Tracker (yes even if you aren't storing wines, just load them in as consumed).

Try wine tasting a local wine stores (LWS) and figure out which ones have knowledgable staff and provide a better experience. It may take a couple tries to find one that you find fits you.

The palate matching that you are looking for is very difficult. It takes years to figure out whos palates you align with and whos notes and recommendations resonate with you. One thing to consider is a tasting kit, or actually an aroma kit. http://www.winearomas.com/ there are more affordable ones out there, but you get the picture. But with any personal experience your description may not match anyone elses, and thats ok.

welcome and good luck.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 455 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude. Quit researching on Google and find a REAL wine shop. Grab a couple hundred bucks (or whatever you can afford) jump in the car and go talk to a consulant at a shop in Big D. At appears you're only 45 minutes out.

If you post a separate thread in the Wine Conversations asking for good wine stores with knowledgeable staff in the Dallas area, I'm sure the Texan folk here can steer you in the right direction.

PH

Posts: 15056 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks PurpleHaze I will do that. I didn't even think about going to Dallas.

posted Hide Post
find wine shops in your area that offer free tastings on weekends, go there and taste everything writing down what you like and what you don't like. Within a month or so you will have a good idea what style wines you should be buying. dont overybuy as your style of wines you like does change/evolve with time>

Posts: 776 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to Dallas try the following store:

Total Wine & More - Dallas
9350 North Central Expressway, Dallas, TX
(214) 750-4605 ‎ · totalwine.com

Go to their website. check their tasting schedule, or call and ask the manager when they have tastings. Also, check out their website. You can buy online and pickup wine, as well as do your research. I have found their staff in Atlanta to know a fair bit about the major grapes (cab, pinot, etc)and producers.

Happy hunting.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend Spec's.

If you are picking up a few bottles to sample at your local grocer, try the latest vintage of Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon.

Also, Costco usually has very good selection. Their wine buyers are good. Sam's less good, but they have some good stuff.

Posts: 1571 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post