WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Wine club recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine club recommendation
 Login/Join 
posted
I have just dropped Pine Ridge (after 12 years) and this free'd up some budget space. Anyone have advice for a winery with a similar price point. I have looked at Lewelling and Larkmead, any suggestions. BTW I posted this here instead of the main board trying to avoid starting an argument like,"why would anyone join Pine Ridge?" followed by "why would anyone drop Pine Ridge?"

Posts: 269 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
why would anyone join pine ridge?? Razz

lewelling just won a special place in my heart. larkmead is very good. you may or may not be familiar with a board favorite - Stefania.

the list is endless. there are more cali cab producers than anyone knows what to do with.

Posts: 4939 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second Stefania...

Also Venge

Posts: 486 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Betz is a good list to get on.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outpost.

Here is another thought, why get on any list? There are great producers such as Neal and Match that you can order directly from and not join their list at all. Just saying

Posts: 3710 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed with Yogi's Stefania wine. And there are plenty of wine clubs that give their best services and discount,offers to their members like enjoying the wine with celebrities

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maria121:
.....And there are plenty of wine clubs that give their best services and discount,offers to their members like enjoying the wine with celebrities

Confused

Crazy

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maria121:
...enjoying the wine with celebrities

...which I assume includes the occasional Saudi prince.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Here is another thought, why get on any list? There are great producers such as Neal and Match that you can order directly from and not join their list at all. Just saying

I second this notion !

Posts: 719 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:

I second this notion !

I third the motion of my buddy hippo mom - but, as to Neal - he is not a nice guy. Spent a miserable half hour or so with him at his winery three years ago. No people skills

Posts: 102 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineMavenCA:
quote:
quote:

I second this notion !

I third the motion of my buddy hippo mom - but, as to Neal - he is not a nice guy. Spent a miserable half hour or so with him at his winery three years ago. No people skills

Maven - not sure I get the point. So, if a winery makes wonderful juice, you don't buy it if the owner/winemaker is a socially inept?

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think of wine clubs differently than buying wine direct from a winery.

Buying from a winery I do, buying/belonging to a wine club I do not even consider.

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I only belong to one- Tablas Creek

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Buying from a winery I do, buying/belonging to a wine club I do not even consider.

+1

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

+1

PH

I belong to three, Stef two. I know Board-O is forgetting Phelps.

There are some wineries that just don't get, or can't execute the mailing list idea and you miss out on great wine by not considering them.

I've had several conversations with the Schultze's at Windy Oaks about what I do (mailing list) vs what they do (Wine Club) and Judy always says the same thing; "It just seems like you do too much work, we like the wine club." I've had the same exact response from Therese Martin at Martin Ranch.

I bug Ian Brand from Le Petite Paysan/Coastview too that he should start a wine club. Ian has a mailing list, but I know he just doesn't care for the entire marketing, letter writing, order handling side of the business. If Ian has 76 tasks to do, and he usually does, sending out a mailer is number 77. So I have to bug him to buy wine from him.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit Phelps Reserve about 6 years ago. I liked getting some of the wines, like Insignia, Eisrebe, and their regular Cabernet bottling, but I didn't much want the other wines and I have a full cellar so have cut out most of my buying.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I second this notion !

Maven - not sure I get the point. So, if a winery makes wonderful juice, you don't buy it if the owner/winemaker is a socially inept?

PH

There is plenty of good juice to go around. His wine is readily available here. I wouldn't give that man a penny of money. The answer is yes. And he is beyond socially inept.

Posts: 102 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

And he is beyond socially inept.

How did TBird work his way into this thread?

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
..... The answer is yes. And he is beyond socially inept.

Thanks for the response. I guess if I restricted my consumption of wines to only those made by nice people, I'd probably have to sell half my cellar!

That said, I think I may be operating under a minconception. I've always thought of "wine clubs" as outfits that put together a bunch of wines from different producers and mail them to you. Not so much as selections all sent from a specific winery.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I quit Phelps Reserve about 6 years ago. I liked getting some of the wines, like Insignia, Eisrebe, and their regular Cabernet bottling, but I didn't much want the other wines and I have a full cellar so have cut out most of my buying.

About 5-6 years ago they were sending the second and even third labels in shipments, stuff you can find at the supermarket and I thought about stopping also. They stopped doing that and everything is the main label now and heavy on cabs.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
..... The answer is yes. And he is beyond socially inept.

Thanks for the response. I guess if I restricted my consumption of wines to only those made by nice people, I'd probably have to sell half my cellar!

PH

I deal with several dozen wineries and I have met the owners and winemakers in each of them from Phelps to Caymus to Saxum to Diamond Creek to Myriad to Beckman to Tsblas Creek to Booker to SQN to Tensley to Denner etc etc.
He is by far, with no close second,the biggest AH I have ever come across.

I can't believe that your wine tastes are such that you would deal with AH to get your juice when there is so much choice.

posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm now calling complete and total bullshit on WineMavenCA.

Whatever your issues are, they are and have become completely personal. Take your bitch elsewhere, please.

PH is spot on, and you have a vendetta that has become a simple bore.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Whatever your issues are, they are and have become completely personal. Take your bitch elsewhere, please.

Do not really care what you think. No vendetta just an observation made which was made by SEVERAL people who went tasting with us and including a winemaker from Napa who happened to be there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe that your wine tastes are such that you would deal with AH to get your juice when there is so much choice.

Hmmmmm.... I don't see any correlation between my enjoyment of a product and the personality of its producer. Some of the best chefs I'm aware of are cranky sumbitches, many of my favorite artists are/were moody, crazy or just downright unpleasant people. The list goes on and on.

It is apparent that you have an axe to grind here, WineMavenCA. You've made your point. You can make your choices based on whatever (however relevant) criteria you like.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:

Do not really care what you think. No vendetta just an observation made which was made by SEVERAL people who went tasting with us and including a winemaker from Napa who happened to be there.