WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Corked wine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corked wine
 Login/Join 
posted
What is the deal with corked wine? What should I expect to see, smell or taste?

Posts: 199 | Location: Southern Cal | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool I'm a wine newbie here, but at a tasting a few years back, there was a bottle ending up corked, and the somm wanted all of us to 'experience' a corked wine. The wine smelled of cardboard, or newspaper, and tasted similar. A very distinct difference. One, once experienced, you would be able to recognize if you came upon it again.

Posts: 834 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D, practical tips. Thanks much.

By the way, "a few years back", disqualifies you as a "newbie."

quote:
Originally posted by Darlene:
Cool I'm a wine newbie here, but at a tasting a few years back, there was a bottle ending up corked, and the somm wanted all of us to 'experience' a corked wine. The wine smelled of cardboard, or newspaper, and tasted similar. A very distinct difference. One, once experienced, you would be able to recognize if you came upon it again.

Posts: 199 | Location: Southern Cal | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool Wink

Posts: 834 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It tastes like Rocinante's hoof.

Posts: 3197 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sancho,

Thing is, folks have varying levels of tolerance for TCA, what often gives "corked" wines their funk. I'm not that succeptable, which I think is a good thing. I went to a tasting this past summer and a particular wine caused some to crinkle their noses at first sniff, and others to sip merrily and wonder what the fuss was all about.

But, sooner or later, you'll have one that you consider to be "corked." I opened a 2004 Shingleback Shiraz last night that to me, without question was corked. I could smell it instantly on the cork, and the wine has a weird, musty smell and taste. I'm taking it back to Costco first chance I get.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8892 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the help.

posted Hide Post
Too funny!!! Still, personally, I have never gotten a whiff of a horse's hoof.

quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
It tastes like Rocinante's hoof.

posted Hide Post
Grandpa's WWII combat boots that have been sitting in the attic...

Posts: 48 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Apr 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing to mention is that you can detect it more in some wines than others. Sometimes its overwhelming, you smell it and you know its off, others there may just be a faint whiff (in some cases, with time, the faint turns into very noticable). If you have never been instructed personally as to what a corked wine tastes and smells like then it is hard to really tell. The best thing to do is try wines that have been reviewed and given decent scores, and if you taste a wine that you really don't like for one reason or another there could be a chance that wine is corked or has some other flaw. Then, buy another bottle and if you still don't like it it is most likely the wine, if it tastes very different, the first one was most likely flawed.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1358 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post