WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Sauternes serving temp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauternes serving temp
 Login/Join 
posted
At what temp should you serve Sauternes? I would think slightly chilled? And would you just pop & pour?

Any advice would be great as I have some wondeful blue cheese from Poplar Grove winery in the Ok that I want tor have Sauternes with.

Posts: 78 | Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada | Registered: Dec 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are far better accompaniments to a fine Sauternes than Bleu cheese.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37056 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my sweet spot for really good Sauternes is 52-55°. If your wine is at cellar temperature, a quick pop in the fridge for 10-15 minutes should get you into the low 50's. If it's at room temperature, adjust accordingly. Don't overchill, or you'll mask most of the great flavors this wine can offer.

PH

Posts: 15335 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PH is totally right. I think most of the time Sauternes is served too cold ( I guess to reveal a little bit more the acidity) but the right temp is around 50.
But some people do enjoy Sauternes really chilled..so it's all a matter of preferences I guess.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Sep 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
There are far better accompaniments to a fine Sauternes than Bleu cheese.

Cheesecake.

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorites are:
Cheesecake
Creme Brulee
Foie Gras

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37056 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At what temp should you serve Sauternes? I would think slightly chilled? And would you just pop & pour?

Chilled (not cold) and yes pop and pour.

A major peeve of mine is Sauternes served too cold. Mad Drives me nuts. Happened at offlines a few times too, so it is NOT just a restaurant problem.

Keeping a great Sauternes in an ice bucket for 2 hours and then opening and pouring can turn a $100 2001 Sauternes into a $20 one. Can't tell the difference. Of course if you have a cheap Sauternes, then I guess freezing it into submission will do the trick Wink

This also goes for fuller bodied white wines (Chardonay in particular). People will smell the wine and say "Hmmm. I'm getting no nose". No kidding - the wine is friggin' 38 degrees!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hunter,

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen, brother. Cool

PH

Posts: 15335 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post