WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Sweet wines?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet wines?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by O1brunello_keeper:
Entice people to exercise their palates. Sweet wines just don't do that.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Far be it for me to agree with Board-O when he's having a go at somebody but... what the hell are you on about? If you don't appreciate a good Sauternes then that's your problem but don't taint others' opinions because of your lack experience with sweet wines. I can't imagine the reaction of DavidN if he saw that comment.

For the Portheads... www.theportforum.com

Posts: 4234 | Location: Middle Earth | Registered: Sep 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me rephrase so as to clarify:

I spoke without a quik thought to Sautenres, Ice Wines, and I like Rosa Regale with dark chocolate, however my tastes are not in the realm of fortified wines.
Sips are for bourbons, tequilas.... this is one mans opinion. and I have stated from the begining that I do not enjoy white wine in the way that I do red. I also strongly prefer to stay away from California although I grew up and came of age there. In fact my first case was Stag's Leap case 23 1985. I just burnt out on Cali. Its so pricey now as then

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"-Mythbusters (Discovery channel)

Posts: 181 | Location: upstate new york | Registered: Apr 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll take it as over-enthusiasm from the new guy. Be slightly more restrained (not too restrained, I don't want you to get bored) and we'll get along fine, I like my Brunelli as well.

Posts: 4234 | Location: Middle Earth | Registered: Sep 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KillerB - we all have our opinions and they change with experience. But don't be overly restrained. Your point of view is valuable to people like myself who learn as much from your responses and reactions as we do from comments that are assuaged.

The above is a case in point.

- Paul
----------------------------
"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." - John Bender

Posts: 976 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EG - I did say not to be too restrained, it would be far too boring around here. It was the infintive expression "Sweet wines just don't do that" that was patently wrong. BK has explained and that's fine by me.

posted Hide Post
Trentadue Chocolate Port. You will love it.

Posts: 287 | Location: Healdsburg, Ca | Registered: Oct 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you want to enjoy wine like all your friends but you don't like it. Drink what tastes good to you and enjoy your friends company. I'm sure they won't make you feel like an outsider because wine gives you a headache, and you don't really enjoy it.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Borsao Tres Picos was reviewed by Wine Advocate as being like "cherry pie in a glass", thought I should warn you, I do not find it sweet, just very fruity. Delicious, I would recommend it highly, though it seems you might not agree.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't drink wine unless it is very sweet, also. There is a winery in Indiana that makes a very nice sweet wine: It is simply called Soft Red and is made at the Oliver Winery (oliverwinery.com). There is another winery in the tiny town of Fremont, Indiana, called the Satek Winery and they make a wonderful sweet white desert wine called Perfect Ending in addition to a great sweet red wine called Lakes Red. I know you can order their wine on-line, (satekwinery.com). The Meier's Wine Cellars (meierswinecellars.com)also makes American Concord wine that is inexpensive and very sweet.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you order spam at these websites also?

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am exactly the same way. People tell me to try Rieslings and Muscats but they were still to dry and bitter to me. I was in TX at one point and found the following:

Twin Springs - Sweet Red, Sweet White and Sweet Blush Link: http://www.twinspringswinery.com/wines.php

I have tried all three and they are great. Unfortunately I am unable to have these wines delivered in WA state. If anyone knows of any similar wines avail in OR/WA please post.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sineann Sweet Sydney

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O, ever been to indiana for the wines? Was just an eyebrow raiser after the post above. For a state right under michigan, I would imagine the same herbally green style reds?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12123 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I've ever tasted a wine from Indiana. I hear they grow world class fruit there. Smile

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About how long do people age their Sauternes before drinking them?

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
khmark7 - it really depends on what you're after. Many of those wines can last for many many years. And some people enjoy and even prefer them that way. On the other hand, some people prefer them when they are freshest and younger. There's no hard and fast rule - unlike reds, which can be tannic and basically undrinkable when young, many botrytized wines can be quite enjoyable when young. As they age, the sweetness is attenuated and the honey-toned flavors recede. Why not try one with a few years on it and see how you feel? The great thing about sauternes is that you can often find 1/2 bottles. Cheers!

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KH,

I agree w/Greg. A good Sauternes never gives me the feeling that it's a bad time to drink it.

Board-O. Ha, Ha! Anyways, I've never had an Indiana wine that I'd write home about. Much of it is horrid! But, I haven't had a ton of them. There are a couple of good makers who "import" west coast fruit though, and do a respectable job, like Ch. Thomas.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8882 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I realize that this topic is a bit old, but I thought I'd still give my 2 cent's worth.

I pretty much hate wine altogether, but I have managed to find some whites that I do really like. I, too, like very, very, very sweet wines and have found the following. I'm not a wine pro, so I don't even claim to know what's what, but I do know what I like. I still haven't found a sweet red that I can stand more than 1/2 a sip from, so I'm still looking for one of those.

If you want to try some sweet whites, give these a try. I'll give the UPC as well, in case that helps your local supplier find it. The first three are under $10 (at least in my stores). Not sure about the last one. It was about $10 a glass at the restaurant.

Chateau Ste Michelle Moscato Frizzante - 0-88586-00138-3 (Washington)
Santo Moscato D'Asti - 8-51758-00208-8 (Italy)
Barefoot Moscato - 0-85000-01668-8 (California)
Andrea Faccio Moscato D'Asti - 80-28166-00100-8 (Italy)

The two D'Asti's are excellent. I have only been able to find the Santo Moscato D'Asti at Costco. And the Andrea Faccio Mosctao D'Asti, so far, has only been found in a restaurant we went to. They won't reply to my e-mails requesting info on it, so I'm out of luck on that one.

If anyone can help me locate that last Moscato, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Styler001:

I pretty much hate wine altogether

You've come to the right place.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
been able to find the Santo Moscato D'Asti at Costco. And the Andrea Faccio Mosctao D'Asti, so far, has only been found in a restaurant we went to. They won't reply to my e-mails requesting info on it, so I'm out of luck on that one.

If anyone can help me locate that last Moscato, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Found it.

http://grandvinwinemerchants.c...il=GIADAMOSCATO2008H

Posts: 8718 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay this is the funniest string I have read in a long time. Most peoples responses are so funny.
Let me guess. "Jet" is an early 20s femme that has no business drinking wine in the first place. I'm with the french guy. Try a "Bahama-Mama" it's a sweet red that you can drink when sitting with your friends. And everyone else...catering to the inexperience. She found out through experimentation that she likes Cabernet.
I bet if exposed she would love an good aged Brunello or a piece of dark chocolate. Entice people to exercise their palates. Sweet wines just don't do that.

* Just reading through some old responses to this post.

This is exactly the type of response that perpetuates the snobbery around wine. This response is "funny?!" Why?!...because somebody doesn't like red wine? So what?!

Most people here began their hobby with a wine that they might hardly consider now. For me, I believe it was a Malvaysia from Temecula, CA. My palate grew from there, no thanks to idiots like this.

Posts: 1561 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Okay this is the funniest string I have read in a long time. Most peoples responses are so funny.
Let me guess. "Jet" is an early 20s femme that has no business drinking wine in the first place. I'm with the french guy. Try a "Bahama-Mama" it's a sweet red that you can drink when sitting with your friends. And everyone else...catering to the inexperience. She found out through experimentation that she likes Cabernet.
I bet if exposed she would love an good aged Brunello or a piece of dark chocolate. Entice people to exercise their palates. Sweet wines just don't do that.

* Just reading through some old responses to this post.

This is exactly the type of response that perpetuates the snobbery around wine. This response is "funny?!" Why?!...because somebody doesn't like red wine? So what?!

Most people here began their hobby with a wine that they might hardly consider now. For me, I believe it was a Malvaysia from Temecula, CA. My palate grew from there, no thanks to idiots like this.

quote:

I pretty much hate wine altogether

bout sums it up

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12123 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
bout sums it up

LOL

Yep.

Shane - If someone were a complete novice and read this thread, I'm not sure they would have any clue which information is worthwhile and which isn't.

Someone suggested buying the wine from Oliver, which is made from Concord grapes. Someone else suggested d'Yquem.

So let's see, $7.50 or $750.00. At least they're both 750ml.

What does she do with that?

And although she starts out by saying she's drinking a late harvest Riesling and doesn't like it, she gets suggestions to try TBA and a slew of other late harvest wines and then while she's at it, maybe some aged Brunello.

Wine snobbery or cluelessness?

I think that's why she never re-appeared.

BTW - to your Malvasia - why would you not consider it today? It's one of the very perfumed grapes and can make pretty nice wine, both dry and sweet. In CA, Palmina makes a pretty good dry one and it's a component, albeit usually minor, of many, if not most, traditional whites in Rioja, some of which age for many years. We had a 1970 2 years ago and it was pretty magnificent.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For sweet red varieties, I second Concords. I'd also suggest Lambrusco, possibly frizzante (slightly sparkling). Moscatos and Muscadines (white, red, and blush) are very prevalent and easily accessed in the market these days. Two of the more popular and well-structured are Saracco Moscato d'Asti and Cascinetta Vietti Moscato d'Asti. There are also a few Moldovan reds that are fruity, sweet, and balanced.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post