WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Serving 1995 BdM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serving 1995 BdM
 Login/Join 
posted
I do not have much experience with older wine, and this will be the oldest I've opened. I'm hoping to open it Christmas eve, pouring some directly into a 375 to try the next day to see the difference, the rest will be drunk the night of. Is this a good idea, or would it fade to quickly?
I am wondering whether I should be decanting this wine, and if so, for how long? This is being poured from a magnum. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 277 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be useful to know the wine. I've had only 3 1995s this year, but all were showing well soon after opening. Do not decant. Pour off a few ounces into a glass so that the bottle fill is below the shoulder and air it in the bottle. Have a taste early on and decide from there. If the wine is sound, it shouldn't hurt to let it sit in bottle for a few hours. I love the 1995s right now. If your wine shows well, I'm thinking leftovers shouldn't be an issue..... Wink

I hope Longboarder chimes in here. I know he has had numerous 1995s this year and loves where the vintage is right now.

PH

Posts: 15294 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wine is a Poggio Antico. Thanks for the tips. When I take an initial taste, what kind of signs am I looking for that will depict how it will react over the next few hours, fading fruit?

Posts: 277 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had several of the Poggio Antico normale and their Altero a while back. I have never tried the Riserva from 1995. I think my last Altero was opened 4 years ago (?) and was fully mature and ready to go. I imagine the same will be the case with the normale, if that's what you have. I didn't figure either of these two bottlings to have the stuffing to go much longer, so I'd be surprised if your wine doesn't show at near it's best shortly after opening.

You should taste the wine immediately after opening. That should tell you what you need to know. If it seems good (there should be fruit, very soft tannins and decent acidity remaining) then play it by ear as you go. My instincts tell me that if you bottle half of this for the next day, you might be dissapointed.

PH

Posts: 15294 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sounds good. It will have to be finished the night of (I don't think this will be a problem). I'm hoping it shows well, all the wines I have are extremely young, and I can't drop the money on older vintages very often, so this is a treat for me.

What is a typical drinking window for a brunello, 10-15 years old, or does it depend on the vintage and producer heavily?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
What is a typical drinking window for a brunello, 10-15 years old, or does it depend on the vintage and producer heavily?

It is VERY vintage and producer specific. Many 1998s and 2000s were quite enjoyable on release and weren't ever going to get much better after just a few years. Vintages (again depending on producer and bottling) like 1990 and 1995 can be absolutely amazing at 15-20+. I tend to enjoy the longer lived vintages beginning around 10 years of age.

PH

posted Hide Post
Awesome! Any specific producers I should seek out in general for BdM, known for their quality in on and off vintages?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Awesome! Any specific producers I should seek out in general for BdM, known for their quality in on and off vintages?

I don't often buy or taste Brunelli from "off" vintages, but producers I tend to gravitate to year in and out include Fuligni, Costanti, and Lisini.

PH

posted Hide Post
Look forward to your impressions on the Poggio Antico. What will you be serving it with?

PH

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will check those producers out.

Christmas eve is usually a seafood night for us, however I am not a huge fan of the stuff, so will probably be served with a beef or lamb dish. I'm leaning towards the lamb but nothing is set in stone and I can be easily swayed.

In your previous experiences what food would go well with it?

posted Hide Post
Just had a '97 Banfi Poggio all Oro BdM riserva this past Saturday while we made homemade pizzas, fantastic. I have some '95 as well, this thread is making me want to open soon.

I like Brunello with what my wife calls 'stinky' hard Italian cheeses or pizza

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 991 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In your previous experiences what food would go well with it?

Brunello is a pretty versatile wine to pair with food. The simplest "classic" pairing would be a nicely charred Porterhouse steak simply grilled with a little olive oil and some salt and pepper. I like it with game a lot. Braised rabbit and wild boar stew are awesome matches. Lamb would work well. Brunello loves mushrooms too. I'd stick with simpler flavors so as not to compete too much with the wine. Good luck!

PH

posted Hide Post
I believe it will be served with beef wellington.

Thanks again for all the help, tasting note to come.

posted Hide Post
1995 isn't really all that old so don't sweat it too much. We opened a 1995 Napa Cab last night, and then a 1997, which to my surprise, was quite a bit better.

Brunello tends to live a little longer than some of those Napa Cabs, so you should get a nice blend of maturity with some younger qualities as well. It's a nice time to be drinking that wine actually.

I don't know that I'd keep it over night - why not open something else? However, if you do, I always think it's best to put it into the fridge right away - pour it off into a 1/2 bottle and put that one into the fridge. It will oxidize slowly in the fridge as compared to leaving it on the counter.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas!

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2657 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will certainly be consumed the night of.

Nice tip on the half bottle. Will have to try that sometime, as I generally find I can't finish a wine if it gets opened mid-week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ABryce,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, it will certainly be consumed the night of.

Nice tip on the half bottle. Will have to try that sometime, as I generally find I can't finish a wine if it gets opened mid-week.

On the half bottle thing, the ultimate technique is the "futronic" method. Fill the 375 into the neck and push the cork down until the cork makes contact with the wine. Best done in the sink! Virtually eliminates air from the bottle and will extend life even further.

PH

posted Hide Post
Even better, I'll have to get my hands on some empty half bottles.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Even better, I'll have to get my hands on some empty half bottles.

Better yet, get full ones and drink them. Wink

PH

posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it,

I have a 2006 vidal icewine and a Château Rabaud-Promis 2005 (still waiting for this to come in) that I wanted to try over the holidays. I have some experience with Ontario Icewine, but none with Sauternes so I'm excited.

posted Hide Post
Finally got to try this yesterday, as I had a bad cold when I originally planned to consume. My note is in the TN section