WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Decanting and temperature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decanting and temperature
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

Im hosting a small wine tasting for a few friends, some more into wine than others and have a few questions regarding some of the wines.

The wines served are only Chilean since that is the topic:

Von Siebenthal
-Carabantes 2007
-Montelig 2005
-Tatay de Cristobal 2007

Concha y Toro
-Don Melchor 2007

BPdR Concha y Toro
-Almaviva 2009

Which wines would you decant and for how long? Having some challenges regarding temperature due to location and lack of cellar and winefridges, what is the optimum any easy way of keeping them cool without ruining the wine to be able to serve them at the right temperature.

Thanks,

Muren

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't worry so much about the temperature. If you need to, you can always stick the decanter in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.

As far as decanting, I guess if I were decanting things, I'd decant all or none. I don't know all of the wines but I know some of them and most of these are pretty young and pretty big.

If you don't have enough decanters, you can pour them into pots or jars or whatever for a time then pour back into the bottles.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2563 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg,

due to the tasting dragging out a bit because of various reasons the Almaviva '09, Montelig '05 and Tatay '07 were decanted for 2-3 hours and im not sure if that was the reason but the Montelig was the clear wotn with the Almaviva imo close behind. The Tatay was also excellent but price taken into comparison not worth it.

Tasted the Almaviva with no decanting about a month earlier and could hardly recognise it now. It was stunning and so was the more inexpensive Montelig (40-50$), it is a must try and if I had easy access to it id be a very happy man Woot

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it was a good way to do it Muren. Let them evolve in the glass!

Happy New Year.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2563 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never thought to put my decanter in the fridge / freezer, thanks for the thought

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 851 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I´ve found buckets with cool water helpful, ice can be added on warm days.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Mar 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post