WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Tasting differences
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tasting differences
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

My first post on my journey into wine!

i am determined to learn as much as I can about wine and have been told the way to go about this is by tasting as many wines as possible.....shame.

I have been noticing that when I take the first sip of a wine it tastes very different to a couple of sips later. (This is not because I've drunk lots of it either!)
I find this especially with highly tannic reds. having just opened a bottle of 2007 Bordeaux (after breathing) the first sip is tannic and quite tight. Initial impressions were not good but after 3 more I am really enjoying it.

If at a tasting, how are you supposed to determine which wines are good if you are only taking a sip or two of each one? Will this develop over time?

Many thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wine flavors definitely change when allowed to air out over time. It is the introduction of oxygen that releases flavor, and some reds, especially French, might release some odorous gas that should quickly disperse upon opening. Also, naturally, your palate will adjust to what you've just had. If you drink orange juice before tasting, for instance, your palate will be terribly thrown off for the first couple sips, and will then adjust. You might just need a warm-up, per se.

"Good" is a relative statement that depends on each person's individual palate. What most professional Sommeliers are doing when tasting a wine is to, in essence, to pinpoint quality. They will taste a wine and compare it to past experiences to see how well the wine excels at displaying the characteristics of the grapes, how complex and layered these flavors are, how well the wine displays the terroir of the area in which the grapes are grown. Quality also relies on the skill of the winemaker to showcase those characteristics.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post